~Chapter 43

I woke up to people talking in the other room. Everything didn't hurt as much, which worried me. My back was just sore from the table I had been laying on. I stood and walked out. I stayed just outside the room, listening to the others talking.

"Cakes and kettledrums! That's your next big plan? Sending a little girl alone into the darkest parts of the forest alone?" Trumpkin asked.

"It's our only chance." Peter.

"And she won't be alone." Susan added.

"Haven't enough of us died already?" Trumpkin asked.

"Nikabrik was my friend too, but he lost hope. Queen Lucy hasn't. And neither have I." Trufflehunter said.

"For Aslan." Reepicheep.

"For Aslan!" the voice of the bear.

"I'm going with you." Trumpkin said.

"No, we need you here." Lucy replied softly.

"We have to hold them off until Lucy and Susan get back." Peter said.

"If I may..." Caspian started. "Miraz may be a tyrant and a murderer. But as king, he is subject to the traditions and expectations of his people. There is one in particular that may buy us some time."

"I think I can help with that." I said, walking in.

"Vyla!" Lucy smiled as she ran over and hugged me.

"It's good to see you too." I replied.

"How are you feeling?" Caspian asked holding his hand out to steady me.

"I'm perfectly fine... It looks worse than it feels." I made eye contact with Peter. "But please... Don't worry about me... we have more pressing issues to attend to." I broke eye contact and looked around.

"I spent years studying customs and traditions... I think I know which one you're talking about Caspian." I said walking to stand next to Peter.

"I am the one who drafted all his documents." I mumbled as a faun rolled out a piece of parchment for me.

There were some snickers from Trumpkin, and Edmund and a smile from Caspian.

"Oh, shut up." Peter mumbled.

I started writing, "You'll need green branches." I said to no one in particular. "That is a sign of momentary peace in Telmar customs."

"She's right." Caspian said. I heard footsteps leaving the room without looking up.

"Alright." I put the quill back into the inkwell and held up the scroll. "How does this sound?" I asked pushing over the parchment to Peter.

He cleared his throat and started reading,

"I, Peter, by the gift of Aslan, by election and by conquest, High King of Narnia, Lord of Cair Paravel, and Emperor of the Lone Islands, in order to prevent the abominable effusion of blood, do hereby challenge the usurper Miraz to single combat upon the field of battle. The fight shall be to the death. The reward shall be total surrender."

"Perfect." Caspian smiled. 

I nodded as I pushed another scroll in front of Peter and the inkwell, and he started to rewrite it.

"Can I get a candle?" I asked a faun. He nodded and left, but shortly returned handing me the candle.

I used a torch to light it, starting to melt the red wax as Peter finished by singing his name on the scroll.

Then I dripped a good amount of the wax onto the parchment.

"It's all yours my king." I said. Peter smiled as he used his ring to seal the picture of the lion into the wax.

"Edmund?" I asked.

He gave a confused look before walking over.

"As Peter's second in command it's up to you to deliver this to Miraz... I suggest taking Glenstorm and Wimbleweather with you for protection." I said.

"Me? I can't do it. Why can't you?"

"Because as far as Miraz knows I'm still in a cell, in his castle, dying." I said. I stood as I rolled the scroll. "You can do this Ed." I smiled. "Don't be afraid to add a little cockiness... I find that helps with things like this."

Ed nods as I hand him the scroll.

"Now you best be off." I smiled.

Edmund returned the smile before walking out, Glenstorm following after him.

"Now what do we do?" Trumpkin asked.

"Susan, Lucy, you best prepare for your ride." I said.

Susan nodded in agreement.

"You can take my horse... I can help you prepare." Caspian added.

Susan rolled her eyes but I could see the slight blush come to her cheeks as the three of them walked out. And shortly the others followed to return to their duties, leaving Peter and I all alone in the stone table room. I was sitting on the table, Peter was sitting in a chair next to me.

"Feels like things are finally going back to normal." Peter whispered as he reached for my hand.

"With me doing all your work again?" I smiled.

"I'm glad you're alright."

I lifted my shirt slightly, noticing the large five-inch scar on my side. "It's cool don't you think?" I asked. Peter didn't respond as he ran his finger over it.

"You're still the most beautiful girl in Narnia." He looked up at me. "It was all Lucy, without her cordial you might not have made it."

"Well I'm here now... And you have a battle to prepare for... King Peter... Will you do me the honor and let me help you with your armor?" I asked.

"I wouldn't want anyone else." He said as he stood and held out his hand.