Chapter Eight

"Samuel, I never said Eleanor was my girlfriend, just that she was traveling with me." Newt said shyly while rubbing his neck and kicking the snow.

"Ah, my apologies. She's cute Newt! Seems like your type," Samuel said while elbowing Newt in the ribs. Newt stared at him in disbelief and shook his head. Eleanor giggled to herself, she liked Samuel already. "Let me introduce you to the rest of us."

Samuel brought them over to a group of three that were sitting around a lab table, chatting over something that Eleanor couldn't make out.

"Everyone! This is my old colleague Newt Scamander and his girlfriend Eleanor." Samuel said and winked at Eleanor. Newt turned a fresh shade of pink and made a mental note to punch him later. They all waved and nodded at the pair and introduced themselves.

"Pleasure to meet you both, my name is James," A tall, thin, young man in about his thirties stepped out. His skin was a dark mocha color and had black hair with eyes that resembled a peacock feather.

"And I'm his brother Henry," Another man with similar features and brown hair with eyes of honey stepped out and shook their hands.

"Nice to meet you guys, my name is Nora." A plump woman with a thick Scottish accent came to shake their hands. She had long ginger hair, but had it tied up in knot with emerald eyes and pale skin.

"It's so nice to meet you guys, truly. I can't wait to get to work with you all." Eleanor said. Newt agreed and Samuel took this time to show them to their tent. 

"Allow me to show you where you both will be staying," Samuel said while walking them over to a bright orange tent. It was the same color as his cloak and looked a little small from the outside, but when Newt unzipped the flap it revealed a nice looking flat with a queen sized bed, a work desk, dresser, and a small bathroom in the corner.

"Looks lovely, thank you Samuel," Eleanor said and stepped inside. She saw Newt punch Samuel on his arm as he entered in.

"I'll let you both settle in. Dinner is at 5pm." Samuel said as he zipped them into the tent. 

"He's a funny man," Eleanor stated while fixing her trunk on the bed. She popped it open and used her wand to unpack her clothes into the top drawer of the dresser.

"Extremely," Newt agreed sarcastically. While placing his case a little too aggressively onto the desk.

"What's the matter?" Eleanor asked knowing something was troubling him.

"I just wish he would've introduced you as Eleanor Baker and not Eleanor my girlfriend," He mumbled.

"Newt, it's no biggie. Really, I don't care," Eleanor replied walking over to him and putting her hand on his shoulder.

"Eleanor, you should be known as your own person. Not just 'my girlfriend'" Newt put girlfriend in air quotes and turned to open his case.

"Because me being your girlfriend would be so terrible, right?" Eleanor stated and turned to go back to her case.

"That's not what I meant at all El. What I mean is that, you are going to make some brilliant discoveries and you don't just want to be known as my assistant, or girlfriend, or friend. You want people to hear your name and think of how brilliant you are and not just as the girl who followed me around." Newt stated realizing what he just said sounded quite mean and went to take it back immediately. His intentions were good, but he is just having so much trouble with his words. Especially when he's talking with Eleanor.

"Well if you didn't want me following you around, why did you even agree to let me tag along in the first place?" She shouted back at him. She was getting aggravated now and wished he would just stop talking. She pulled out her journal and threw it on the bed.