Chapter Forty Two

"Can we please get food?" Eleanor whined while placing a hand on her stomach. Newt laughed at her, but could never say no to this woman. 

"Of course, let's go in here." He lead the way into a small coffee shop. They had just dropped off a suitcase of occamy eggs for Jacob so he could start his bakery. 

"I can't wait to come back." She said while sitting down and picking at a pastry. 

"I'm happy you and Tina worked everything out." He said while sipping his coffee and making a funny face. "I am a little excited to get back home though, I don't really like coffee."

"Do you think Grindelwald is going to stay here in America?" Eleanor asked him and he only shrugged. 

"No clue, he'd be better off in Azkaban, but I don't think anyone wants to risk transporting him. It's a tough call." He said while chugging the rest of his drink. 

"When are we leaving?" She asked him. 

"This afternoon, 3PM. You can ride back on the boat with me... wait do you have your passport?" He asked her. 

"Yes, I packed it. I do wish we could take a portkey back. Three days on a boat... It makes me sick just thinking about it." She said. They stood up and walked back out to the street towards the harbor. Queenie was at work and they had already said their goodbyes, but Tina said she would meet them here. 

"Well, it's been um-" Newt began. 

"Hasn't it?" Tina laughed. "Listen, I wanted to thank you. For helping me get my job back. It really means the world to me to be back on the investigative team."

"I can't think of anyone else I'd rather have investigating me." Eleanor laughed. 

"Well try not to do anything worth investigating for a while." Tina smiled. 

"Promise, it's going to be a quiet life for us now. Back to the ministry to deliver my manuscript... and start our family." He placed his arm around Eleanor. 

"I'll look out for it... your book I mean. Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them." Tina said and the ship horn blew meaning they were about to get left behind. 

"I'll send you a copy of my book," Newt said looking back at the boat. 

"Nonsense, we'll be back to deliver it personally." Eleanor smiled and pulled Tina in for one last hug. They boarded onto the boat and waved back at Tina. 

Eleanor had spent the next three days on the bathroom floor. Motion sickness and being pregnant was really not the best duo. Newt tried his best to help, but ran out of potion supplies in his case after the first day. He also wasn't sure if some of them were safe for her to take. 

He had apparated them back into their home after checking with customs. 

"El, why don't you go lay down. It's been a rough three days for you. I'll go down and get the creatures settled in. Bunty is probably still down there." He said while pecking her cheek and heading down into the basement. Eleanor went up to their bedroom, but stopped before going in. It felt... strange to her. Something was out of place. She walked over to her dresser and noticed finger prints on top where dust was collecting. 

She opened her drawers and it looked as if someone had torn through her stuff. Beginning to feel paranoid and panicked, she went over to her desk and her breathing hitched. Ink had been spilled and left to dry over fresh parchment and on top, a white chrysanthemum lay. Someone had been in here. 

"Newt?" She called down and ran back down the stairs, but he didn't answer.  "Newt?!"

"El? What's going on?" He heard the panic in her voice. 

"Someone's been in our home." She told him and rushed into the living room over to the fireplace where their pictures were. The one she had put up, the one with her parents, was smashed on the floor. Her eyes went over to the books shelf where there were gaps in the shelves. Her mother's books were missing. 

"Didn't Bunty notice this?" Eleanor panicked while looking at Newt. 

"She wasn't in the basement. I'm not sure where she is." He replied and Eleanor ran back up to their room with him on her tail. 

"That's a chrysanthemum." She whispered while showing him the flower. "It's the death flower."

"We need to contact the ministry." Newt said and went back downstairs. In less than five minutes, there were two aurors in their house investigating what had been taken or touched. 

"I don't feel safe here, Newt." Eleanor said into his shoulder as she clung onto him. He rubbed her back to try and comfort her, but her hormones have been so off the wall it was truly useless. 

"I know love, I know. They'll figure out who it was." He hushed to her. One of the aurors came into the kitchen where they stood. 

"The fingerprints are from a man." He began and she was glad it wasn't Bunty snooping through their stuff and freaking them out, but it also meant a strange man was coming and going as he pleased. 

"Well that really narrows it down." Eleanor muttered. 

"We believe this matches with some other disturbances we've been having in the area. Whoever is breaking in, he's been doing it in surrounding areas. Most of them in Birmingham. He always leaves a white chrysanthemum." The other auror came in. 

"There's been break ins in the area? What have we missed? It's only been a week." Newt said. 

"Not only break ins, but some disappearances as well." The auror said. 

"Who's... gone missing?" Eleanor asked. 

"Nora McClaggen, Henry and James Parker. All went missing a day apart after Grindelwald was caught in America. No bodies have been found,  they just vanished." An auror said and Eleanor's knees turned to jelly. Newt held onto her as much as he could, but he was in just as much shock. 

"Our friends Newt. Those are our friends! Oh Merlin it's Samuel. He- he's coming for us next. We're next." She cried and sunk onto the floor with Newt holding her in his arms. 

"Samuel?" The auror asked and Newt explained the situation they had found themselves in, but not the whole lot of it. Just how they used to be friends with a crazy follower that tried to kill Eleanor, but they obliviated him. 

"I would suggest you stay somewhere else until we catch him. We'll keep you updated." They nodded and apparated out of their kitchen and the two of them were left alone on the kitchen floor. 

"We can't leave all of our creatures here alone." Eleanor said and put her head in her hands. 

"Maybe it's time we move somewhere new." Newt suggested and Eleanor looked up at him. "I mean we're going to need a place with a few more bedrooms... and bathrooms."

"You want to move?" She asked him.

"If that's our next step, it's something I want to do with you." He kissed her forehead. "There's a home in... Paris. We walked past it on our first date. Do you remember it?"

"I yes... the yellow house with the vines and black gate." She recalled. 

"It's still for sale. We have barely touched the money that's been sitting in our bank. We can easily afford a place there. Especially when my book launches. We can do this El." He said to her reassuringly and she nodded. 

"Screw it, let's move to Paris!" She smiled through her tears and hugged Newt tightly. 

"We're going to pack all of our creatures up in two cases and take them to a hotel. We'll go to Paris tomorrow. Okay?" He smoothed out her hair. 

"Okay," She whispered and they stood and went down to the basement.