Chapter Ten

"Newt! Let's go! We need to get to the others to warn them and I'm not leaving you here!" Eleanor yelled at Newt who had his wand up, ready to fire a spell that would protect them. He didn't want to hurt the yeti, but he knew it was untamable and would show no mercy.

"Eleanor,  I need you to go get the others and let them know we're being hunted down. More are going to come if we wait any longer. Now Eleanor! Please!" Newt yelled at her. She had never seen this side of him before, so she ran. She ran as fast her legs would go. Slipping everywhere and stumbling on some large ice, she saw the others up ahead and ran even faster.

"Samuel! Samuel! Stop!" She yelled and they turned around looking confused. 

"Eleanor! What happened?" Nora said with a very concerned voice.

"The yeti. With Newt. Must go." It was all she could get out since she was so out of breath. She turned and ran back to help Newt, hoping to Merlin that he was okay, the others were trailing behind her. She came up to the area where Newt was and could not believe her eyes. There was Newt, standing his ground with not only one yeti, but now three. He looked back at Eleanor with a hint of worry in his eyes and put his hand out to stop them from coming any closer. 

One yeti looked at the other and jumped down the steep slope they were just on and the others followed his lead. They were all now on the same level and Eleanor had to think of something quick. These beasts stood fifteen to seventeen feet tall. Her wand was gripped in her hand so tight that her knuckles were white and shaking. The others were frozen behind her and shuffling away from them.

A yeti raised his fist and began charging at Newt and he stood there frozen. Why wasn't he doing anything, Eleanor thought. She sprang forward and pointed her wand at the ground and shouted.

"Lacarnum Inflamari!" She yelled and when she did, flames shot from her wand towards the ground before the yetis. They yelled in frustration and tried punching the fire and going near it, but couldn't get through the ring around them. It was the only thing they feared. Newt turned around and ran over to Eleanor and grabbed her hand.

"We need to go!" He yelled and the others followed him through the cave. They reached the end and the sight before their eyes was the most incredible thing Eleanor had ever seen. There were hundreds, no thousands of frost salamanders climbing around and sticking their heads out to see what all the commotion was about. 

"We need to move these guys out of here or else they're all going to be dinner... and so will we." Henry said. He pulled out a black leather case that reminded Eleanor of Newt's. 

"We're going to put them in here for the time being," James said while taking out his wand. He waved it and a group of salamanders lifted from their spots into the case. The group followed his lead and soon the cave was left with not one salamander left behind. Eleanor noticed Newt stick two in his pocket and wondered what he was up to. Henry closed the case and looked at the others.

"We need to find a different way out of here," James said to everyone. He looked up and saw a hole at the top of the ceiling. He pointed up to it.

 "That's it. Everyone get in tight." He said and everyone crowded around James and he pointed to the ice below him with his wand. "Ascendio!"

The ice beneath them rose,  through the air, and out of the cave. They all fell onto the ground beside the hole and the ice shattered in pieces into small snowflakes. 

"Aww pretty," Eleanor said as Newt helped her up and she twirled in the snow. 

"Yes, you are," Newt said and spun her around. Eleanor smiled and gave Newt a hug. They had done it. They saved the salamanders and all that was left to do was find a new home for them.

"Where are we taking them now," Nora asked Samuel. 

"We're going to go back to the camp and map it out. I know a cave, but it's in the opposite direction and a longer walk from the camp. We'll need to be well rested again. We can bring them tomorrow," He replied and began trekking back to camp. Henry, James, and Nora started after him while Newt turned to Eleanor.

"You were brilliant back there El. I think you may have saved my life." Newt said to her. He was still holding onto her hands and he picked one up to give it a kiss. He then looked at Eleanor in the eyes and put a strand of hair behind her ear. She blushed immensely and looked at her feet.

"Don't talk like that Newt. It was nothing really. It was the first spell that came to mind. I really was stunned," Eleanor said. She grabbed Newt's hand, held it against her cheek, and leaned into it taking in his scent. 

"Yeah, but you saved me El," Newt whispered. The others were now out of sight and he put his hand around her waist to pull her into his frame. His other hand still on her cheek, he leaned slowly, looking for any sign that Eleanor didn't want this, and took a leap of faith. His lips met hers and everything around them seemed to just melt away. It was long, passionate, and Eleanor for the first time in a long time, felt safe.

Newt parted away from her and blushed an innocent shade of pink. Eleanor smiled at him and gave him an extra peck on the corner of his mouth.

"I've been wanting to do that since the first night I met you," Newt said and Eleanor laughed.

"Me too," She said. " But I think we need to catch up with the others. We can't be the slow pokes." 

Newt agreed and they began making their way back towards camp.

"Eleanor?" Newt asked as they were about halfway back to the camp. They had caught up and passed James and Nora, but weren't far behind Samuel and James. Eleanor was getting tired and was about to ask to stop for a minute.

"Yes Newt?" She replied.

"When we get back... do you think you would want to come over to my place to meet my other creatures?" Newt asked. Eleanor's face lit up as she continued walking.

"Of course Newt! I would love that very much!" Eleanor beamed at him and looked up. She could see the camp in the distant. She suddenly had way more energy and was practically skipping now.

"Can't we apparate there?" Eleanor asked.

"No there's a jinx set up around this area. To keep poachers away." Newt replied glumly. He would love to just sit down about now. His feet were cold and wet and he really just wanted to lay down with Eleanor and cuddle her. Soon enough though, they made it back to camp and immediately turned in for the night into their tent while wishing everyone a good night. She followed Newt into his case and closed it behind her as she climbed down.

"What a long day," Eleanor said while taking off her boats, hanging up her cloak, and summoning her pajamas. She changed into them and grabbed some leaves for the Niffler. She made her way out to the enclosure and began the feeding routine as Newt got changed and started his usual routine along with Eleanor. 

"I'm hungry now," Eleanor said as her and Newt walked back into the shack. They had just finished feeding the murtlap and were getting ready for bed.

"I have some human food in that cabinet over there. Mostly soup. I'll share whatever you pick out. I'm also hungry," Newt said and pointed to a small cubby in the corner. Eleanor went over and picked out a can of tomato soup and found some croutons. She used her wand to heat it up and poured it into two bowls and summoned some spoons up. Her and Newt ate while standing up and with a flick of his wand, the now empty bowls were cleaned and put back.

"Ready for bed love?" Newt asked her and she nodded. Eleanor followed Newt into bed and pulled the covers up over them. She rolled over onto her side and felt Newt's icy hands snake their way around her stomach and under her shirt. She squirmed and let out a high pitched squeal.

"Newt! Merlin! Your hands are ice cold! Stop that!" She yelled at him while pushing his hand out of her top. He just laughed and pulled her closer to him. He nuzzled his head into her neck and gave her a quick peck before shutting his eyes.

"Goodnight El," He said.

"Goodnight Newt."