Chapter Eighteen

"What do you think you want for dinner?" Eleanor asked Newt after tucking the crup under a blanket.

"You know I'm not picky. I'll eat whatever you make love," Newt replied. 

"I'll surprise you then," Eleanor said and made her way into the kitchen. She was in the mood shepherds pie and with a wave of her wand, ingredients were flying through the air and coming all together to form a perfectly golden crusted pie. It fell lightly onto the table along with two glasses for drinks. Eleanor made Newt an Old Fashioned cocktail and made herself a refreshing mint julep.

"Newt! Dinner's ready!" Eleanor called to Newt and he came walking in shortly after.  His eyes lit up when he saw what was for dinner.

"This looks incredible!" He exclaimed while sitting down and placing a napkin on his lap. They were both enjoying dinner when Newt looked up at Eleanor.

"What do you think we should name him?" He asked her.

"Who?" Eleanor asked.

"The cute little guy sleeping on our couch, who else?" He said. Eleanor laughed.

"Oh right. Oh that's a great question." Eleanor thought for a minute and it popped into her mind and she giggled.

"What's so funny?" Newt asked.

"Let's name him Shep after our dinner on the night we found him!" Eleanor said while trying to hold in her laugh. Newt started laughing and she let it all out.

"That is so ridiculous, but I absolutely love it. Fits him perfectly." He said and they carried on with their dinner.

Newt helped Eleanor clean up around the kitchen as they chatted about nonsense. 

"Where was the most beautiful place you've ever been to?" Eleanor asked Newt as they sat down on the couch to check on Shep who was sleeping soundlessly. 

"Rocamadour was really quite a sight. It's this tiny village built on the rocky face above a gorge on the Alzou River in southwest France. I'll have to take you there one of these days. You'd love it." Newt said and switched on some music to play. Eleanors face lit up immediately when she heard the album Newt had put on. Newt stood up and gave her his hand to take.

"You know me too well, Mr. Scamander," Eleanor said. She loved any song by Esther Walker. They danced quite a bit, but had to stop when they heard whining coming from Shep on the couch. They both turned to the crup standing up.

"He's probably hungry. In fact, we should go do our last feeding of the night," Newt said while picking Shep up and making his way to the basement. Eleanor trailed behind and followed Newt down the steps. She grabbed a bucket of pellets for the mooncalves and made her way over to their enclosure. 

Eleanor was just getting finished feeding the Augureys when she heard a loud roar come from the other side of the basement followed by shuffling towards his work desk. Eleanor thought something felt off, so she went to go check out what had happened. 

"Newt? Where are you?" She called out, but immediately saw him slumped in his desk chair with a nasty gash on his back. 

"Merlins beard Newt, what happened here?" She asked while dropping her bucket and rushing over to his side. He groaned as he tried to turn. "No no stay still. I'm gonna fix you up, just stay still."

"I turned my back on the nundu when I thought he was distracted with his food. He gets bored because no one else plays with him. It's not his fault." Newt said and cringed whenever he spoke a word. Eleanor grabbed a clean rag and casted the water charm in a dish to dip it in. She also grabbed a fresh stem of aloe and walked back over to Newt.

"I'm gonna need to take your shirt off alright?" She whispered and used her wand to take it off to avoid any discomfort. She stifled a gasp, not wanting to make Newt uncomfortable, but his body was covered in scars. Small, large, deep, and light scratches of all sizes. 

"This might sting a little," She said as she pressed the cloth to his wound. She could feel him go rigid and straighten his back a bit. She cleaned it up and added a little aloe onto it while using a spell she recently learned.

"Vulnera Sanentur," she whispered while applying a little dittany over as well. It looked as if there wasn't any cut at all anymore.

"Better?" She asked and he nodded.

"Much, are you sure you don't want to be a healer at St. Mungos?" He chuckled.

"Wouldn't you much rather have someone here to help you when things like this happen?" She backfired and giggled while tussling up his hair. 

"Fair point," He said.

"Are all those scars from your beasts?"She asked cautiously.

"Mostly yes, others are from... well close encounters." Newt said and turned around to face her. She saw his chest had some nasty scars too. In fact, there were scars on almost every part of his body. "They're disgusting... I know."

"Absolutely not, they are... beautiful Newt." She said it and before she could stop herself, her hand was on his chest tracing his deepest scars which caused him to shiver.

"What did I do to deserve you?" He asked her while grabbing her waist and pulling her into a warm hug. She never really payed attention to this stuff, but she realized that he was really toned. Like really really toned.She couldn't help herself from reaching up and holding his upper arm.

"Do you want me to flex for you or something?" Newt asked and Eleanor immediately dropped her hand and blushed.

"Don't pull your hand away El, I like it when you touch me," He said and it was his turn to blush. That came out kind of wrong, but Eleanor smiled and hugged him before letting go.

"Anyone else have to get fed tonight?" She asked and Newt shook his head.

"Nope I think that was everyone." He replied and they made their way back up the stairs. It was getting late and they had to be up early the next day to travel to Hogwarts. 

"Ready for bed?" She asked Newt.

"Yes please, I'm exhausted." He replied. They got changed into their pajamas and climbed into bed and under the carves. 

"El?"

"Yes love?" She replied.

"Can I be little spoon tonight?"