Chapter Forty Six

"Why can't we have a normal year?" Eleanor asked Newt as they were out doing some holiday shopping. 

"Maybe now, it will be." He said. 

"Yeah... but did you hear they're going to be transporting Grindelwald next week? He's going to get out. I just know it." She said and popped into a shop. 

"Have a little faith El," Newt said.

"Always so optimistic." She said. "Do you think Tina would like this?" 

Eleanor pulled out the Wizard's Chess box and Newt nodded. 

"She mentioned liking chess." He said and now she was on the hunt for something for Queenie. They checked out and moved to the next shop. 

"Oh these are lovely. Queenie would love these." Eleanor exclaimed as she picked up a pair of earrings. They were small billywig earrings. 

"They whisper compliments in your ears. Great confidence booster."The lady by the register said. 

"Perfect. I'll take them." She said and met Newt outside. 

"At least you won't have to wrap them, she'll already know what you got her when you see her." Newt chuckled. 

"Funny thing about Q, she loves unwrapping things. Even though it's no surprise to her, she loves gifts." Eleanor said. 

"Interesting. I'll take note of that." Newt said. 

"What do you think Bunty wants?" Eleanor asked

"Some peace and quiet probably," Newt chuckled. 

"Haha wise ass." She said and linked her arm in his. "Do you think we should give her her own pet?"

"She's got a million in our backyard." Newt said. 

"You know what a mean. One of her own!" Eleanor said. 

"Such as?" 

"Oh I don't know. You're the magizooligist." She said about to smack him. 

"We could get her an owl." He suggested. 

"That's a good idea. Kinda boring though." She said and giggled. "Come on."

They entered into The Magical Menagerie to take a look around. She didn't really like shopping in pet stores, but for an owl it was necessary. 

"This one's cute," She looked at a ginger Eastern owl and it clicked at her when she pointed it out. Eleanor held her hand out and the bird pushed its head into the palm of her hand. 

"Friendly too. It kinda looks like Bunty." Newt said behind her and she laughed. 

They checked out and were told it was a three year old male. 

"I think that's it." Newt said. 

"You're getting something for Theseus, right?" She asked. 

"Oh, do you think I should?" He asked her. 

"You are ridiculous. You should get your brother something. Why don't we get something for the both of them. A home gift maybe." She suggested. 

"Perhaps." He said and they walked down the street. He pulled her over to a small cafe window and ordered them two hot chocolates. 

"How'd you know I wanted one?" She asked with a grin. 

"Because I know you, Eleanor." He grinned back and kissed the tip of her bright red nose. Even though she had mittens on, the cocoa warmed them up much more. It had been two weeks since Thanksgiving and they were living comfortably in their home. Tina and Queenie were still here, but were never home unless it was to sleep. Tina caught wind that Credence was still alive and has been trying to track him down. 

"Look at that, do you think they would like something like this?" She pointed to the newest camera that had just come out. It makes the pictures move. 

"I would want one too." Newt said. He was fascinated with the new technology and magic they were coming out with. Eleanor opened the door to the shop and went over to the camera.

"There's only one left," She frowned. "We'll get it to give to your brother and Leta."

"You're too sweet for this world." Newt said as he brought the gift up to the counter and checked out.

"Alright, now we're done." She said and they made their way towards the Leaky Cauldron to get back to London. From there, they took the Knight Bus back to their home in Paris. After walking through the front door, they were able to smell dinner coming from the kitchen. 

"Queenie! You didn't have to make dinner," Eleanor exclaimed, but hugged her friend tightly. 

"Nonsense honey, I just wanted to say thank you for letting me stay here. I'm going back to America tomorrow for a week. Just to make sure everything is in order with Tina's mission since she can't leave here yet. I'll be back for Christmas though! I promise." She said and set the table. Bunty came in from outside. 

"Mama Graphorns baby is perfectly healthy, Newt. They're resting now." She assured them and washed her hands in the kitchen sink. 

"Newt? What's it like living with a bunch of women?" Queenie asked him and giggled. 

"I feel like I'm walking on eggshells. You guys are so unpredictable. Especially during that time..." He said and sat down with Eleanor. 

"Newton!" Eleanor said and playfully hit him.  "I don't get those anymore."

"Yeah, it's like you're not bleeding, but you have all the cravings and hormones still." He said and the other girls laughed. Tina came in just then and went to the liquor cabinet and brought out a bottle of firewhiskey. 

"Bad day, huh?" Newt asked her. 

"You have no idea." Tina said and poured herself a glass. 

"What's going on?" He asked her. 

"I think he's in this circus thing? Trying to find himself or whatever. They're constantly on the move." She said. 

"So Credence has run away with the circus?" Eleanor piped up. 

"Guess so." Tina said. "Queenie are you still leaving tomorrow?" 

"Mhm, yeah." She said. 

"Are you taking a portkey?" Newt asked. 

"Afraid not... I'll have to take the ship across and back." She said gloomily. 

"You should take El with you." Tina said. "To keep you company."

"Wait that's not a bad idea. El, you should go with her. That way we can get our Christmas shopping done," Newt laughed. 

"You're trying to get rid of me?" She said and gave him sad puppy dog eyes. 

"Never, love. It might be nice for you to get out a little bit." He said. 

"I don't want to burden you Queenie... I can't be apparating which is annoying being in New York City." Eleanor said and she was right. It was hard getting around the city without apparating, but it was possible. 

"I don't mind walking. Please El? I'd love for you to come back with me." She said and grinned at her friend. 

"Oh fine alright. If you insist." Eleanor finally agreed and they all sat down for dinner. 

"Where'd you learn to make this Q?" Eleanor asked while taking a bite of stuffed pork chops. 

"I just thought it up. Cooking comes easy to me." She beamed happily knowing people loved her cooking. 

"When will we be coming back?" Eleanor asked. 

"Well, we leave tomorrow the seventh. Three days on the boat. I just need to update Tina's department and take some papers from Grindelwald's case folder. We'll probably be back by the fifteenth." She said. 

"Oh yeah, they're bringing him here for trial right?" Bunty said through a mouthful of food. 

"Yeah, you guys will be on the boat when he gets transferred. Pay attention to the news." Tina said seriously. 

"We'll be fine Ellie," Queenie reassured her and they finished eating. "Come on, I'll help you pack."