Chapter Eleven

Eleanor woke up around 3am to a shivering Newt holding onto her with his legs entangled into hers. She grabbed his hand and it was like ice; she felt up his arm and was shocked that his whole body was absolute ice cold. She sat up and gave him a nudge.

"Newt, darling, please wake up," Eleanor said while gently rubbing his arm and caressing his face. His eyes fluttered open and he winced while trying to sit up. His lips were purple and he was a sickly pale color.

"What's going on? Are you sick?" Eleanor asked sweetly while pushing back his hair. He couldn't seem to get words out. She climbed out of bed and he tried to follow her, but his joints weren't doing what he wanted them to do. He lost his balance and began to fall out of the loft.

"Arresto momentum," Eleanor pointed her wand to Newt to stop him from colliding with the floor. Newt laid on his back and groaned. Eleanor walked over and sat next to him to hold his hand. She helped him sit up and noticed something in his pajama pocket. She reached over and slipped her hand in and pulled out the two frost salamanders that Newt had grabbed earlier from the cave.

"Newt? Are you serious right now?" Eleanor said to him annoyed as she held the salamanders in the palm of her hand. 

"You gave yourself frostbite over keeping these guys in your pocket?" She said and rolled her eyes at him. She waved her wand towards an empty cupboard and opened it up. She had transfigured it into a small snowy cave and placed the salamanders into it. Closing the door, she walked back over to Newt and summoned a few blankets and nice warm cup of tea. 

"Focillo," Eleanor muttered and a warm glow came from her wand to help warm Newt up. He took a few sips of his tea and Eleanor could see his color come back into his face. They were leaned up against the wall with blankets over them. Newt finished his tea and rested his head on Eleanor's shoulder. 

"Thank you," He whispered and Eleanor squeezed his hand. She made the teacup vanish and helped him up and back into bed. Following him up the ladder, Eleanor turned the lights out and snuggled up to a much warmer Newt. They were facing each other, limbs tangled up, with Newt's head laying on Eleanor's chest. 

They were soon sleeping soundlessly, that was until they awoke to a loud clanging noise. Newt shot up and so did Eleanor realizing that they had overslept. He jumped out of bed and realized the noise was coming from their tent above. They must have slept way too late.  Eleanor got up to change and grabbed some food for the beasts and ran out to feed them quickly. 

"Just feeding the creatures! Be up in a jiffy!" Newt yelled up to whoever was up there clanging pots and pans. He switched his pajamas for blue trousers, a white button up, and fastened on his suspenders. He rolled up his sleeves and quickly caught up with Eleanor to finish breakfast for the creatures.

"We need to eat something too. We have a long day ahead of us." Eleanor said and handed her bucket to Newt and went back into the shack to whip up some porridge for them. They ate quickly, grabbed their cloaks and ran to catch up with the group that was about leave them behind.

"Good morning sleepy heads. Late start this morning?" Samuel said while patting Newt on the back. He grinned and Newt sheepishly turned a new shade of pink.

"Sorry everyone," Eleanor started. "Our niffler was being a little fussy this morning and wouldn't eat his breakfast." 

Eleanor let out an awkward laugh, but the others seemed to believe them. Nora laughed at least.

"What kinds of creatures do you have down there?" Henry asked and the rest of the conversation was history because once you get Newt talking about his creatures, it's impossible for him to stop. Samuel was right, this was a lot further than yesterdays adventure, but they made it. Samuel stopped in front of huge mountain of ice. He turned to the group and backed slowly into the ice and disappeared.