Chapter Forty Eight

Eleanor had been woken up when Queenie came through the front door giggling with whoever she was with and then a knock on her door. 

"Ellie? Can I come in?" Queenie asked and opened the door knowing Eleanor didn't mind. 

"What's up?" Eleanor said while sitting up. 

"I have to tell you something. Please don't be upset." Queenie sat on her bed and Eleanor leaned in to let her know she was listening. 

"I may have been seeing Jacob... and I may have filled him on everything that had happened." Queenie admitted. 

"Why would I be mad?" Eleanor asked her. 

"Because it's against the law here." Queenie frowned. 

"Well not in Europe... Queenie you do what makes you happy." Eleanor said and Queenie smiled at her. 

"Well he's going to come back to Paris with us when we go back." Queenie said. 

"That's wonderful, I guess his bakery is doing good enough on its own then?" Eleanor asked. 

"Oh yes, he's hired help. He's doing really well, but he needs a little break."  Queenie said. 

"Well good, is he out there? Was that him you came in with?" Eleanor asked and Queenie nodded. Eleanor stood up and went out to the living room. 

"Jacob?" Eleanor asked and the man turned around. 

"Eleanor! Hey you look great!" Jacob exclaimed while embracing her in a hug. 

"So do you! I hear you're coming to Paris with us?" Eleanor asked him and he nodded vigorously. 

"Well, I don't want to keep you up any longer. It's late. I'll see ya tomorrow!" Jacob said and Eleanor went back to her room. She was quick to fall back asleep again. 

***

The three of them had stepped off the boat and Queenie almost went to apparate, but remembered Eleanor can't. 

"Sorry, we're in La Havre. We're gonna take a smaller boat down the river into Paris. The dock is less than a mile from our home." Eleanor said and walked them towards the pier that had their boat waiting. 

"I am so tired of boats." Queenie groaned and Jacob rubbed her back. He'd been awfully quiet this whole time. 

"You're telling me." Eleanor said while holding her stomach. She had been puking her guts up every three hours. 

"Sorry honey, I know this was a hard trip for you." Queenie sympathized. 

After a few dreadfully long hours and Eleanor, once again, throwing up over the side of the boat, they were finally back in their Paris home. 

"Oh it feels good to be home." Eleanor said while crashing on her couch and kicking her shoes off. Shep immediately hopped up with her and licked her face. Queenie and Jacob had gone up to their room to unpack, so Eleanor sent out to look for the man she missed most. After calling his name multiple times and not getting an answer, Eleanor was getting frustrated as she trudged out into the backyard to find Bunty. 

"Bunty!" She yelled and startled the red head as she was putting eye drops in the moon calves eyes. "Sorry, I shouldn't have yelled. Where's Newt?"

"He left with Tina to go to Paris. I think it has to do with Credence... Sorry El, he's not here." Bunty informed her and Eleanor sighed. "He left me this note."

Bunty

Gone to Paris with Tina. Have taken Nifflers with me. 

Newt

"Did he leave me a note?" Eleanor asked while handing Bunty's note back to her. 

"Not sure, maybe in your bedroom? This one was on his desk over there." Bunty said and Eleanor walked over to his desk and then her own.  Nothing. How strange. After climbing back into her house,  she went up to the second floor and Queenie stuck her head out of her room.

"Tina and Newt are gone?" She asked and Eleanor nodded while closing her bedroom door behind without saying a word.  She couldn't help but get a little emotional not having him here. She looked around the room for a note or anything from him... and then she found it. Stuck on her mirror. 

My Eleanor,

I've follow Tina to Paris, she's tracked Credence and something big is about to happen. Please don't follow us. It's too dangerous. Grindelwald is about to strike. 

I love you.

Newt

She let a tear slide down her cheek as she read the note. What did this mean? Queenie knocked softly on her door. 

"Hey honey, I heard. Figured you might want a friend. Let's go make dinner, huh?" She said cheerily while grabbing Eleanors hands and guiding her down the stairs into the kitchen. 

"I didn't realize how hungry I was until now. " Eleanor realized and Queenie giggled. 

"Same. I'm thinking... crepes!" Queenie squealed while flicking her wand. 

"As if you..." Eleanor chuckled as she finished the sentence in her head. Read my mind. 

"Strawberries or... oh you want banana and caramel." Queenie finished and Eleanor laughed again. "Ya know, I don't think I would have ever thought of that combination."

"Pregnancy does weird things to you. A month ago I ate macaroni with ketchup." Eleanor said and cringed. 

"Yuck." Queenie said as her eyes went to Jacob who was standing quietly in the door frame. "Hey honey!"

"You have a lovely home Eleanor.  Really really lovely." Jacob said while looking around. 

"Thanks Jacob!" Eleanor said while setting the table  for four. She called out to Bunty to let her know they were making food. She came in shortly after. 

"Did you find anything from Newt?" Bunty asked Eleanor. 

"Yes, a note. You were right about Credence." Eleanor replied.  

"I um, I'm not sure when they'll be back. They left yesterday. " Bunty said. 

"You don't think they're... in trouble?" Eleanor looked at Queenie. 

"I want to say that they can take care of themselves, but I honestly am not sure. Especially with Grindelwald on the run." Queenie said with her head hung. 

"Well we should go after them!" Jacob exclaimed. 

"That is the exact opposite of what Newt wanted us to do." Eleanor shook her head. 

"Oh come on El. He only said that because you're... well... pregnant." Jacob said. 

"And he'd absolutely right. You can't go out there right now. Especially after Samuel. Grindelwald knows everything." Queenie said. 

"Yeah, but what good am I if I'm here by myself like a sitting duck and you are all out there." Eleanor whined. 

"I'll be here El," Bunty chimed in. "Although I'll be rather busy with the creatures." 

"I want to go if you're going." Eleanor said to Queenie. 

"I know honey, but it's really not the safest out there right now. We love you. Talk soon." Queenie said and pecked her on the cheek. 

"I promise to keep you updated. We'll be right in the city. We'll come back if they're fine." And those were Queenie's last words before disappearing with Jacob. The thing is, they didn't keep Eleanor updated; she had no idea where Newt was. Or where any of her friends were. Bunty was good at keeping her optimistic, but they didn't come back. Which meant that they weren't fine.