The Forest // Leebury

The forest loved Samuel. Samuel loved the forest. He loved to wander around. Especially at night when pixies and fireflies fly around. At first, there was a group of pixies that ridiculed him. He named each one as pixies didn't tend to have human names. He called the smallest, and quite possibly the angriest, Alexander. He then named the one he thought had a French accent Lafayette (though the pixies said it was only a Northern Forest accent). Finally, he named the last one, and probably the nicest and gayest one, John.

"Why am I John? Alexander and Lafayette sound so cool! But... John sounds boring," John said. He sat on a tree branch as the forest tried to offer to let Samuel sit in a tree. Samuel opted for the rock, muttering a small "no thank you" to the tree branch that followed him as he looked up at John.

"You remind me of someone I knew! He was so cool and nice!" Samuel said, laughing a bit. The forest felt calm, full of serenity, something that couldn't be filled by his hometown.

"Oh, then is Alexander or Lafayette named after people?" John asked. The tree branch he was on moved closer towards Samuel.

"Alexander... he's named after someone I knew as a kid. Lafayette is named after a place called La Fayette, it's in France. His voice made me think of France," Samuel said, smiling a bit more. John didn't know how he could be so happy all the time. He could swear that he's never seen Samuel frown or cry. Even when Alexander first teased him when they first met. He fluttered down to join Samuel on the rock, growing in size so they were similar heights.

"Samuel... How are you so happy? I've never seen you sad," John asked. Samuel chuckled and looked at the ground.

"You've seen me sad, I just keep smiling because it's just... natural," Samuel said. John shrunk back to his pixie size and stood on Samuel's leg.

"You're making yourself look happy? That's not okay! If humans are anything like pixies, you'll explode from too much negativity!" John said. He kicked Samuel's hand so he sit down.

"First, you can ask me to move my hand. Second, humans don't explode from too much negativity. Otherwise my boyfriend would've exploded years ago," Samuel laughed out.

"Nah, I like kicking you, your hands can be so squishy. Also BOYFRIEND?! I THOUGHT YOU WERE A LONELY HUMAN AND THAT'S WHY YOU CAME TO THE WOODS!" John called out.

"Yes, boyfriend. I come here for silence from the town, he works while I'm gone, so he doesn't know I go here," Samuel said. He rested his hand behind John and felt an apple fall into his lap. Samuel muttered a thanks to the tree offering the fruit and bit into it happily.

"You should take him here! I can have Alexander and Lafayette help me set a romantic date for you two!" John said. He fluttered up and flipped in circles.

"Gosh... Take Charles into the woods? I don't know if the forest would appreciate me sharing my safe space," Samuel said, looking at all the trees. The serene feeling turned somber fast, indicating to Samuel it would be a bad idea. John noticed the change too and went into thought.

"Well, then you can do it at the edge! Take him here tonight, the fireflies like to fly around near the edge, and Alexander would love to help me set your date up!" John said, still excited. The forest lit up again, showing it was okay with this option. Samuel smiled a little and agreed.

"Great! Now, what's your favorite fruit? Does he like rain water or stream water better? Would you like to sit on grass or tree stumps?" John asked.

"Uhm- Pears... I think rain water... and the grass is fine," Samuel said, slightly frightened. John lept asking questions, leaving Samuel slightly confused and disoriented. The sun was preparing to set when they were finally done.