Fight // Lafbury

Sam sighed shakily as he played the piano softly. He wanted an outlet of his emotions, a way to not cry at every last inconvenience to strike him. His wrist stung harshly as he turned it to reach the higher notes. The tune got sadder, yet louder. His mind filled with every moment he and Lafayette had that was joyful. Torn to pieces because of a foolish mistake on his end. He thought of the time he imagined just a few months ago where Lafayette would be laughing and dancing with their kid. The tune got even sadder and louder. Louder and louder, to drown out his thoughts-

"What the fuck?" a voice said. Samuel was torn away from the tune, almost slamming a chord that would have sounded hideous in his song. He looked back and saw his ex-boyfriend. Taking a deep breath, his voice was caught, he thought he would sob before uttering a word.

"Sorry," was what he mustered out. He didn't know what to do. This home was his safe place, his only place since his ex-wife took his previous home to live safely. Well, there was another place, but that was hours away, even on horseback.

"Running away from your problems?" Lafayette asked, walking closer to Samuel. Samuel didn't run away from his problems, what a weird idea. Perhaps he avoided them for a short time, trying to get a full grasp of the situation, find the easiest way out without hurting anyone. Generally, the first ways he found ended in a lot more pain than he didn't intend.

"What else am I supposed to do? I throw cookies at threats and your friends want me dead," he said, wiping his face as tears fell. He couldn't be seen hurt, not now. Now, he had to be strong, this was his fault, but he wasn't fully ready to admit it to himself.

"Maybe stay and fight for yourself. Or talk it through," Lafayette said, crossing his arms. Samuel scooted closer to the wall, away from Lafayette. This was a mistake, he shouldn't have came in, or gotten so lost in the piano. He should've stayed in the forest, away from all problems, nothing but him, the trees, and the birds.

"Fight for myself? Don't you remember when I screamed at a bunny? And how can I talk about when everyone under the sun thinks I'm wrong," Samuel said, trying to seem defensive, despite being terrified. Terrified that he could never make this up and Lafayette would kick him out.

"Well, I'm sorry your wife came back without warning. I'm sorry that you run from everything. I'm sorry that you can't man up like the adult you are," Lafayette said. Samuel wanted to cry.

"My wife? We're divorced now, okay? It's my fault like everything else around me, apparently," Samuel said. His wrist screamed with pain as he laid his hand on the piano to stay sitting up.

"Well, how was I supposed to know if you never told me?" Lafayette said, rolling his eyes.

"Because you were away, this isn't exactly a texting matter," Samuel said. He went to get up and leave, perhaps fully breakdown in the woods. Lafayette pushed his shoulder so he was against the wall. Samuel took a shuddered breath as Lafayette gently kissed him. He kissed back, looping his arms around Lafayette's neck. Lafayette gently gripped under his thighs, coaxing him to hang off his waist. Samuel lifted his legs around Lafayette's waist, tugging away for a breath. His face was red, both from the frustration of their conversation and the fluster that the kiss gave him. He smiled softly and leaned his forehead to hide in Lafayette's shoulder.

"Goodness, I missed that," he muttered softly. Lafayette laughed, carrying him to the piano bench and sat down. The laughter shook his body in a good, soft way. It made him smile more, missing the intimate, yet chaste moments they had together.

"I did too," Lafayette said. They stayed like that, basking in each other's presence and falling deeper in love with each other. Soft cries filled the small home, making both of them look and stare in the direction.

"Dadadada," a baby, Rosie, said. Samuel almost jumped up out of instinct, but held back because of Lafayette's previous terms with Rosie.

"You should check on... um... your kid," Samuel said, pulling himself away and prepared to be told to leave now that they were both at their senses.

"I think she's calling for you," Lafayette said with a smile. Samuel bounced, ready to run to the aid of the baby before more doubt entered his mind.

"Are you sure? You told me not to touch her last time," he said softly. Lafayette nodded, giving Samuel a small forehead kiss. Samuel rushed off to Rosie and carefully lifted her into his arms. He sung a lullaby from his memory, one his mother sang him often. He kept singing, getting sad at the fact his mother wasn't around, but glad that he was able to help give Rosie the fathers she deserved. Lafayette held him by the waist from behind, making Samuel smile softly. He loved his family, no matter what. And he knew his family loved him.

( i just got absolutely terrified by fireworks and a gunshot , so uh , yeah )