something // leerens

been awhile since i had an nby character , eenie , meeny - its lee

Charles sat quietly on their bed. Aaron kept talking about his crush. For someone who's life motto is "Talk less", he sure is talking a lot. Charles ignored it the best they could, it felt like it seared their heart.

"Charles? You okay?" Aaron asked when he noticed the silence.

"Fine, I'm fine," Charles said. They even added a smile to convince Aaron. Aaron nodded slowly.

"Have you tried asking Alexander out?" Charles said after Aaron finished his ramble. Aaron laughed a little as he glanced down.

"Have you ever tried asking your crush out?" Aaron rebuttaled.

"No, he doesn't like me back," Charles said. They looked at the wall to avoid looking at Aaron.

"That's probably not true, you're the hottest best friend I know of. Who is he? Samuel? George Kings? Or is it someone obscure like John Laurens?" Aaron asked. Charles stayed quiet as they bit the inside of their cheek. Aaron flopped in front of Charles.

"Listen, you listen to my rambles about Alexander, let me hear what you have to say about your guy. Charles immediately shot their eyes to the bed and smiled a little, maybe they could be vague enough.

"Well, he makes me the happiest I've ever been. Sometimes, I just feel like he's the only person who can make me smile, even when we fight about something so, so stupid. I want to kiss him and call him mine. I know he likes someone else, though, but it's... it's okay, because the other person makes him smile so much, and I just can't be upset when he's happy," Charles said. A pillow rested on their lap, held loosely by their arms. Aaron was smiling at them.

"You're blushing, you really like him, huh? You said stuff about fighting, so is it Laurens? I've always thought you two had some sort of tension," Aaron said. Charles let their smile drop a little. They didn't deny it, they just let Aaron believe it. At school, Aaron was staring at Alexander, looking away when Alexander glanced around. During lunch, Alexander walked up to Aaron and Charles with John in tow.

"I'm doing this quickly, but John likes Charles," Alexander said. John was about to say something, but Aaron already cut him off.

"That's great, Charles likes John," he said, smiling at Charles.

"You do?" they both asked each other. There was genuine confusion between them. Aaron and Alexander let them talk, despite protests from both Charles and John.

"Sorry if I'm breaking your heart or anything, but I actually like Aaron and he assumes I'm talking about you," Charles said, looking around for their best friend.

"Thank God, it's the same with me and Alex, he always rambles about Aaron all night long," John said, rolling his eyes. Charles laughed a little.

"Aaron's just the same. Every single time we hang out. He thought I was talking about you when I mentioned his fights with me," Charles said. John gave a chuckle.

"Are you ever going to tell him?" John asked. His eyes gazed around before fixating behind Charles.

"Probably not," Charles admitted. They looked towards where John was looking. Alexander and Aaron were watching them. They both waved their hands.

"They really think we're in love, God," John said. Charles laughed, reaching for their water bottle.

"I wonder how they would feel if they found out we love them," Charles said, sipping their water.

"They'd freak out and ignore it. Well, Alex would, I don't know about Aaron," John said.

"Aaron would just ignore it, he's pretty against the whole freak out thing," Charles said. John laughed a bit and looked at Alexander and Aaron again.