Day 36 // Leebury

Day 36 since Charles disappeared

No one wants to believe he's alive anymore, or that if he is, he isn't going to return willingly. I'm scared none of them are right, that he is just waiting for someone to realize the truth of his disappearance. I still walk by the place I saw him last, though it gives me no clues.

Samuel closed his notebook and sat against the wall. There was a bite to the breeze, the sun was barely rising. It wouldn't start warming anything for half an hour, but the light still offered a better feeling. A sense of hope.

Something in the shadows caught Samuel's attention. He looked around, searching for the object before deciding it was probably something glinting from the rising sun. Samuel turned his head away, wishing for a miracle to bring Charles back to him. A night's worth of searching stole hours meant for sleep, so sleep decided to steal back those hours from the day. Samuel fell asleep against the wall.

It was dark once Samuel woke up. He glanced at his phone, thankful that he slept through a day where he didn't need to work. He stood up carefully, looking around the alleyway. It was a Sunday night, he needed to work bright and early the next day. He rubbed his face tiredly and began to walk away. It was quiet on the street, giving a sense of loneliness and the threat of something terrible about to transpire.

"I'm going to need you to stop," a voice said. Samuel could've sworn it was Charles, but Charles never used a strict tone like that. Samuel kept walking, believing it to be his imagination, far too hopeful and looking for false hints. A hand forced Samuel to turn around, making him stumble for stability. The face shape was unmistakable, the lack of fingers resting on his shoulder just the same, Charles had lost them in a wood saw accident. Samuel stared in awe and horror. Charles seemed angry, deep red hiding his usual bright blue eyes. Samuel stepped away, trying to wrap his brain around the facts. Charles was standing in front of him. In an instant, Samuel threw his arms around Charles.

"I knew you were alive, I've missed you," he claimed, near tears. Charles didn't hug back. Samuel let go and stared up at Charles. Charles seemed confused by his interaction.

"I have no idea who you are," Charles said. Samuel was dropped to the ground in a second, hitting his head against the rough sidewalk. Charles was holding him down with his knee on Samuel's chest.

"Charles? Charles Henry Lee- You've known me since we were 12, your favorite movie is Captain America and the Winter Soldier, your favorite color is phatho green exactly, and you always hate cilantro on anything," Samuel said. Charles loosened for a second, staring at Samuel in shock.

"You know nothing about me," Charles said. Samuel noticed his teeth when he spoke. Two sharp fangs hung out of his upper jaw. Samuel started to attempt to wiggle free. Charles smiled at his struggles, pressing more weight on his chest. Samuel began to panic at the pressure, looking around for some aid. Slowly, the knee was pulled away, replaced quickly with a hand.

"I'm sorry, I should've paid more attention," Samuel apologized quietly. Charles pressed another hand under his chin, moving his face around.

"Pity. I've watched you walk around for a month and now you're under me, under my control," Charles said. He didn't leave an inch of Samuel unchecked. He sat up, keeping Samuel under him.

"Charles, please stop, this isn't you," Samuel cried out. Something blue flashed in Charles's red eyes as he moved away.

"Stop saying my name, I don't know you," Charles said before he pressed his head onto Samuel's neck. Samuel screamed out when he felt the punctures. Everything darkened slowly, the sight of Charles's worried blue eyes being the last thing Samuel saw.