Vampire // Leerens

I fixed my stupid outfit. Samuel got it for me to go to a Halloween party. I never understood why I couldn't wear my usual outfits. George thought we wouldn't blend in without the scratchy caricatures of our past. My body stretched up as I stared at my horrid reflection. Through unaided eyes, I seemed human like, young and quite pale. But, in mirrors and photos, I was seen for my true age, filled with cracks in my skin held together by cobwebs at best. I had to avoid all mirrors at this party, lest I want to be revealed.

Samuel walked in and held a pallet of the Halloween makeup. I always felt the oils from it long after I take it off.

"Samuel, the humans will already believe I'm pale enough," I complained as the white liquid was placed on my face.

"They'll see it's too good to be just makeup," Samuel said.

"I don't understand why we even go to the parties, can't we just get the people as they leave?" I asked. Samuel sat up and frowned.

"They get drunk at the party and their alcohol tastes horrendous in their blood," Samuel said. I sighed as I sat back in my seat. I looked back at the mirror, wishing to destroy it. The cracks of my skin were covered with the white, oily makeup. Perhaps that shall be my new cover. Samuel pulled my shoulder up to keep working. He acts as if I'm a child, despite the 289 years I've wandered this planet. Finally, he finished and George walked into my quarters. He was neatly done, his hair in a style that would've been much more appropriate a few centuries ago. He was upwards of 700 years, he claims to have lost count. Samuel was only 500 something, I never bothered to ask. I frowned and moved my arm in the scratching caricature costume.

"Word has it that there will be hunters at the party. Watch your back and avoid anyone suspicious," George said. I rolled my eyes. He says this every year and we have yet to be caught. My sarcasm carried to Samuel, who smacked my arm.

"This is serious, Charles," he said. I pulled my arm away and growled a little. Samuel seemed unaffected as he turned back to George.

"I've gathered the names of John Laurens and Alexander Hamilton, but there could be others," George finished once Samuel and I stopped fighting. I almost laughed, they shared name with those who almost killed me in a duel 242 years ago. Yes, I have kept count. I kept quiet, though, George and Samuel would ask questions. I relaxed into my chair, hoping George and Samuel would take a hint to leave my quarters. They did and I waited until it was sunset. We left for the Halloween party, smiling at each other before splitting up. I took my first stop at the concessions, not touching the food. Human food began to disgust me when it became saltier and more artificial. I sipped a cup of water, making occasional small talk with people. None of them were appealing to me, some even drunk. I considered just going out to the street and taking someone from there.

A young man with curly hair and tan skin walked beside me and looked out into the crowd with a bit of a sandwich in his hand.

"Quite the party, why are you standing over here alone?" the man asked me.

"People tend to disgust me in large groups," I said. The man laughed and looked over at me.

"You really like sticking to the costume, huh? Your eyes are even the hypnotizing red," he said. I raised my eyebrow at him.

"I suppose, it adds a layer of realism to the costume," I said.

"John Laurens, what's your name?" the man said, holding out his hand. I realized it was one of the two George had warned us about. I carefully took his hand, feeling his pulse through my skin.

"Charles Lee, glad to make your acquaintance," I said. He shook our hands and dropped mine.

"Wow, you're cold. Say, wanna ditch this party? Go somewhere less crowded?" John asked. I straightened my posture and looked around for George or Samuel, unable to spot either. They were probably feasting or with each other.