Oh, another vampire a.u. // Leebury-ish

( i have too many in my drafts , so take this decent one , i need to post something )

I made notes of the easy escapes around John Laurens. I wanted to taunt death in ways I have a million times over. It never gets old, especially when I can just jump free whenever I want.

"Ah, you got me. I mean, it's taken you... what, 10 years? Since you were 17, huh?" I taunted, raising my hands up. It was a classic move, eventually they would be high enough to grab the pipe above me which, if I'm graceful, I could swing over John and walk free for another night. (Or not so graceful and kick him in the face, who cares?)

"You killed my mother, you aren't getting away," John said. I saw the tears near his eyes.

"I didn't kill her. Alexander did. I don't fucking understand how he convinced you I did it. Samuel was with me the whole fucking night," I said before jumping up. I grasped the pipe and swung my body over John, avoiding his face. However, I didn't land correctly. As in, I was face first in the dirt, groaning at the pain surging in my body.

"Fucking idiot," I heard John mumble. Something grabbed my leg, so my instincts told me to kick. John groaned and my leg was freed. I stood up as fast as possible. Strange how people just assume vampires are graceful, nothing I did within the last five minutes was remotely graceful. Samuel was graceful, anyone could've seen that. John didn't have his stake, I must've kicked it away. Immediately, I ran off, scaling a building as if I were named Spiderman. It was an odd trait I earned from being a vampire, similar to the way bats cling to the tops of caves. I reached the roof and heard the fire escapes rattling. I started to run across the rooftops, silently apologizing to the people below. I almost reached my hideout when something tugged on my shirt. I fell and almost hit the wall. I looked up and saw John holding onto me.

"Jesus Christ, are you trying to kill me?!" I asked, despite knowing the answer well. I glanced down, it wasn't too far off a fall. I threw my arms up, hoping that I would slip out of my shirt. Luckily, I did, as if this were a movie. I would make a terrible Edward, however. I landed on my legs, taking a brief moment to wallow in pain before joining the shadows.

John got down just a moment later. I did everything in my power to remain perfectly still. Once I had a moment to collect myself, I realized, after all the running and fighting, that I hadn't eaten, the reason I left my hideout. John was still looking around, but he was facing away from me. Slowly, I left the shadows, ready to prey. Everything was instinct, the light steps, my fangs poking free. John began to fight when I got a tight hold on him. I was ready to suck every drop of blood that I needed. It wasn't a lot, only enough to make John pass out. I quickly disposed of him in the alley before making my leave. The adrenaline from his blood left a sweetly sour taste in my mouth. I licked my lips, feeling the remainder of his blood on them. It was easily addictive, most was, but there was a flavor in John's that made me crave more.

I waited until I was on the brink of death before I left my hideout again. I knew John would be around, but we have our respective safe places. It was slowly becoming a decade long game of tag, where I'm constantly not it. I found an easy cat running around the alley when I felt a lively presence around me. I let myself meld into the shadows, still finishing my meal.

"I swear he's here," I heard Alexander say. I pushed myself further along the walls. We've had a rival older than this country. It all started with my distaste towards George Washington, who Alexander basically worshipped. He considered himself aligned with humans, especially the Laurens'. In reality, he has been using them to fight and attempt to kill me. I felt the wall behind me as I dropped the cat's body as quietly as possible. I began to scale it, gripping edges that would be far too small for any normal person. I was caught far too late, but that didn't stop them. I ran as fast as I could, if Alexander caught up, I was deader than Washington. I let myself fall before my hideout, slamming the door shut. I heaved for fresh air as I leaned against the door. It was far too close, I knew Alexander was just inches from grabbing me. Something pounded on the door, making me jump away.