Mommy's little soldier // Leebury

dlp and rincoon , iykyk

Samuel stood in the church. He was supposed to pose as a Christian pastor.

"Excuse me, Mr. Pastor, when are the confessions?" someone asked. Samuel turned around, prepared for someone asking a genuine question. He saw Charles smiling at him, a weirdly convincing smile he used on humans to gain their trust.

"Charles, don't use your human smile on me," Samuel said, rolling his eyes. 150 years with him and Charles still used human tactics on the angel.

"Oh come on, can't I be happy to see you?" Charles said.

"You've told me it takes a lot to make you happy, so I suppose you can't be too happy by me being here," Samuel said.

"You're my exception! Come on, let's run away, never have to worry about anything but each other and walk the Earth!" Charles said.

"No, I can't, Washington might not do anything to you, but George will," Samuel said. He turned around to greet more people into the church and left Charles upset.

During the service, Samuel introduced himself as a wandering pastor and visited the church because he could tell some people needed the Lord's word in their life. Basically any Christian B.S. that was bound to send the God loving people to Heaven. Charles sat in the back, playing with his powers. First, it was little stuff, like making small flames, of which Samuel hoped no one could see. Then, he switched aisles so he was further back and on the opposite side.

Charles looked out the stained glass window and spotted a raccoon. Sure, it wasn't his Rincoon or Eli the raccoon, but all raccoons were his friends. Or so he liked to believe.

Charles glanced at the service, seeing everyone focused on Samuel, who was rather focused on Charles and whatever mischief he had planned. Charles let his demon horns grow just a little to warn Samuel about what was about to happen.

"-Is there anyone who would like to share an experience that applies to verse Romans 12:21?" Samuel asked. Charles knew what was about to happen. He pulled the Bible from the spot in front of him to look semi-prepared and withdrew his horns. The small book felt hot in his hands and he nearly tossed it. No one raised their hand and Samuel gave a smile to Charles as he pointed him out.

"How about you in the back? Have you defeated evil with good?" Samuel asked. Charles sighed and felt everyone look at him.

"Perhaps-" he started.

"Why don't you stand up so everyone can hear you, sir?" Samuel asked. Charles made a soft groan and stood up, levitating a bit to appear taller.

"Maybe a time that this homeless man took one of my... shopping bags and I let him have something from my trip so he wouldn't starve the night," Charles said.

"That is defeating the evil of the man with the goodness of your heart, yes, but I want something from within you, maybe a personal conflict that made you have to fix a mistake you've made," Samuel said. Charles rolled his eyes and looked at the burning hot Bible.

"Alright then, I could say the time I made my... friend, Alexander, do something incredibly stupid that almost resulted in someone dying – long story – and I had to fix it by taking him home and letting him stay the night," Charles said with a shrug. Samuel gave up and instructed someone else to do the same. Charles flopped into the pew and put the Bible back while looking at the blisters on his hands. Sure, conventional things like knifes, fire, and raccoon claws didn't hurt him, but things considered holy did, like Bibles, holy water, and most religious imagery.

The service ended early and Charles left quickly. He fisted his hands so the blisters weren't noticable. Samuel tried to stop him, but had to thank and say goodbye to each attendee.