Chapter 49 Deja Vu

Niyati was never the one who liked to sit idle and get paid. So, it was obvious she had a very unproductive day if you exclude some online shopping for Shaurya's house, which was also part of her job, and serving coffee to Shaurya which came out of the machine.

Niyati was bored, especially because her co-worker was sulking around and avoiding her like a plague. On one hand she was happy to maintain distance, but it would have been nice to have someone to talk to when you have nothing to do. Oh how much she wished for someone else other than the snitch sitting beside her.

It was 5 p.m. Finally it was time to go home. Shaurya's home! Oh what the hell. She knew it was best she started calling it home till she worked for him.

Calling it a day she decided to ask Shaurya if he had any work for her, else she was leaving.

Knocking the door, she entered on hearing a strong "come in". Something about the way it was spoken told her that Shaurya was in a bad mood. But then he is always in a bad mood in the office. She just hoped that he didn't ask for the daily report because her day was hardly productive.

What she hadn't expected was he asking
" Did Jay keep his distance from you? Has anyone else called you or tried to talk any nonsense to you?"

Niyati was a little puzzled having no knowledge of the events of the day. She decided it was just Shaurya's way of protecting her so she just nodded.

" Niyati! I already told you to inform me if anyone makes you uncomfortable. You know I will come to know eventually then why didn't you tell me that Jay was bothering you?"

Shaurya's voice was increasing with every word. He was rubbing his temple trying his best to keep his temper in control. He knew it wasn't Niyati's fault. All he wanted was for her to confront him, when needed.

Truth be told, he was hurt. There was a time when Niyati used to share the smallest things with him, be it Ashu falling down or her grandmother not taking pills. He knew the days to share small things were gone but his heart wanted her to share the big problematic ones atleast. His heart wanted to know that she still considered him close enough for that.

" Why didn't you tell me?"

" He….he didn't. There was nothing to tell."

" Really? So he staring at you was nothing? Are you telling me it wasn't bothering you?"

Now Shaurya was losing his temper.

" It was nothing. I can't keep reporting someone just because he keeps looking at me. Besides, I can handle it."

Niyati was very calm. It was as if two opposite poles stood in the cabin.

Shaurya didn't like what he heard. Fisting his palm he strode near Niyati. He was about to explode.

" Oh so you wanted to wait till he actually did something? Or you wanted to wait till you woke up unconscious after the deed was done?

Oh shit!!

Shaurya hadn't even realized what he had said in anger till he saw Niyati's expressions changing.

At first Niyati was surprised at what he said. Then everything hit her as if someone threw a bucket of cold water on her. She couldn't control herself when a tear rolled down as she remembered the day she woke up in a strange bed, beside someone she didn't even know. For a moment she thought she was in that bed, wrapped in nothing but a duvet as a stranger lay beside her on his stomach, snoring and naked. She felt a knot in her stomach, just as she had that day. Her heart was racing at a dangerous speed but her mind was blank. She felt the same helplessness she felt that day. It was getting hard to breathe now.