Chapter 21

Author's POV

Shaurya was out of his mind as he kept holding Niyati's lifeless body in his hand. It felt like someone had removed the soul from his body instead. Everything felt empty. How was he supposed to live when the most important part of his life was no more with him?

The pain he was feeling was excruciating. But he couldn't cry. Why? Because it was all his fault.

Yes! That was the only thing going on and on in his mind. Only he was to be blamed for whatever happened to Niyati. It was he who made her life a living hell. And for what? For revenge? To satisfy his ego? So now that she was gone why wasn't he happy? Why did he want her to come back? Maybe she was in peace now. She was free from his torcher.

He had no idea what was going on around him. All he wanted was for her to be back. He kept pleading to her, to come back to him. How could she leave him?

His mind started working when he saw Niyati move. It was as if his heart also started working and started pumping blood to his brain. Though he was still shaken he was himself now.

When Arjun pointed out that things could get out of hand pretty fast he analyzed the situation around him quickly. He realized that they were still in the lobby and whatever happened was a good scoop for the media. He was glad Arjun had come to manage the situation.

He was about to thank Arjun to think wisely and sprinkle water on Niyati but then he heard Arjun asking
" Do you want me to pick her up?"

What the hell? He is perfectly capable of taking care of her. Too many people had already been near her today. He wanted to take her away from all. Someplace no one could touch her, hurt her.

Shaurya stood up picking Niyati in his arms (bridal style).

Niyati was very much in her senses by now. But she was exhausted, mentally and physically both. She didn't have energy to move a muscle. When Shaurya picked her up she wanted to tell him that she could walk but she could hardly speak. Frankly speaking she was glad Shaurya was there to take care of things. If left to her, she might have just remained sitting on the floor itself, unable to think.

As Shaurya held Niyati in his arms her eyes collided with his. It felt as if they had gone back in time.Time when they could clearly see the longing for each other. Time when they didn't care about the world around. Time when all they wanted was to be with each other. And most of all, the time when they were madly in love.

A wave of guilt passed through Niyati. Had she reacted differently back then maybe, just maybe they would have been together today. As she saw the pain in Shaurya's eyes she wanted nothing more than going back to that time and change the past. Why was he so nice to care for her even now? Why was he still with her? She didn't deserve him.

Feeling exhausted, Niyati rested her head on Shaurya's shoulder as her arms encircled themselves around his neck. He pulled her more closer to himself. As they entered the lift he closed his eyes and rested his face on hers softly. As their skin touched something inside them stirred. It felt good. It felt right.

Neither of them uttered a word. Silence engulfed them. Both lost in the silence. No not in silence, lost in each other. Both enjoying the moment they had so long craved for. They knew it was only for a few minutes. But they wanted to live these minutes to the fullest. It felt like they were whole again.

Two minutes in the lift felt like seconds, both hoping for it to never end.

Ding sound of the lift got them out of their reverie. Shaurya opened his eyes, straightened his head and started walking towards his cabin. Niyati also held her head straight but when her eyes fell on his face they refused to move. She knew she may never get to see him again. She wanted to capture his face in her head. She could sense that he was also shaken but he still looked so handsome.

She wanted to hold his face. Keep her hand on his cheek and tell him that she is fine. She didn't want him worrying for her. She didn't deserve it. She wanted to tell him that she was happy with him hating her. But her tongue was tied. She didn't say a word nor moved her hand. Just continued staring at him as he kept walking.

Shaurya reached the waiting area outside his cabin when his secretary came running towards him.

" Sir should I call a doctor?
Is she alright?
Should I call her relative?"

Secretary kept bombarding with questions while running behind Shaurya like a puppy. Then he ran ahead of Shaurya and held the cabin door open for him to enter with ease. He was about to close the door behind him when Shaurya said

" Out"

Secretary immediately scurried out, closing the door after him.

Shaurya was still holding Niyati as close as he possibly could in the given position. He stood near the sofa but made no attempt to keep her down. Slowly he turned his head in her direction only to find her eyes on him. The moment their eyes met Niyati lowered hers. Had it been some other day, he probably would have smirked and maybe even teased her to provoke her to do it again. But today he was too shaken and just felt glad that she was still ready to look at him even when he was responsible for this condition of hers.

He started moving his head near Niyatis, and was about to kiss her on her forehead when he heard Arjun's faint voice from outside. He knew within no time he would barge in. So he carefully lowered Niyati on the sofa.

Niyati took help of her hands to position herself properly on the sofa. Her heart jumped when Shaurya corrected her dupatta as her dress being loose had stooped low from the front. She gave him a faint smile and tried to say thanks. Tried.

No voice came out of her mouth. She tried again but her throat was too dry and the more she tried the more it started to pain.

She gulped. Raising her head as her eyes met Shaurya's, who had taken his seat behind his desk, she realized he was observing her struggle. She had troubled him enough today. It was time she let him relax a bit. So she gave him a faint smile quitting her attempts to talk.

Shaurya had noticed her struggle to speak. How could he not realize this would happen after the way she had been choked. He was about to confront her when Shikhar came into the cabin......