Chapter 7

Author's POV

Rakesh may not be the best candidate in the eyes of Ashu but he was a down to earth person and very funny. Even Ashu didn't know how the past one hour had passed. They were chatting, joking, eating snacks (Rakesh eating mostly) and having a gala time.

While everyone was having fun Niyati was silent. Most of the time she was staring blankly at the floor. She did smile occasionally, especially when Ashu was looking at her but it clearly was forced.

Shikhar was observing Niyati very closely. He sometimes felt the urge to ask her directly what the matter was, but he knew she isn't the easily revealing type.

" Is it okay if I talk to Niyati alone?"
Rakesh asked about an hour later.

" Sure! Why not."

Shikhar could not believe Ashu to be the one agreeing so easily. He was expecting another angry episode from her when this question would be popped. He smiled secretly. Looks like she was warming up to Rakesh.

Rakesh got up and waited so that Niyati could lead them towards the balcony, but something in her expressions caught Shikhar's eye. It was only for a second. The moment she felt Shikhar's eyes on her, she composed herself. But he was very sure he saw fear in her eyes. Nervousness he could understand. She was doing this for the first time. Buy why fear?

Niyalt led Rakesh into a balcony which was very small but had standing space for three. She went and stood at the extreme corner. The moment Rakesh walked into it, there was hardly any space left.

Niyati was looking at the car parked on the otherwise busy road very intently. This was no place for any car to be parked. Horns were blown as well as bad words were mouthed everytime a car passed by it, which was every second. Yet the driver in the car refused to move it. Since they were standing on the first floor balcony, Niyati could see the driver and if she wasn't wrong he was watching her. A chill ran through her body.

Rakesh who was stealing glances at Niyati thought she was very shy and nervous. He actually liked her but wanted to know her frank opinion which he thought she would not give in front of others. Hence he wanted to talk to her alone.

" I can understand you are nervous. I don't bite you know."
Rakesh said softly expecting a reply from Niyati.

Niyati was still busy watching the car. Rakesh waited for sometime expecting her to snap out of it but when she didn't reply even after five minutes he tapped on her shoulder. Niyati almost screamed, making Rakesh also jump. Very next second Rakesh bursted out laughing and Niyati relaxed a bit.

Rakesh was laughing like a manic and Niyati could no longer suppress hers either. She couldn't help smiling. Though she wasn't laughing like crazy she was smiling genuinely. Rakesh was awestruck at how beautiful she looked when she smiled.

Niyati wasn't talking much but she had started to respond to whatever Rakesh was asking her. That was enough for him. His heart had said yes the moment she had smiled. But he didn't feel like leaving immediately. He wanted to ask her directly but he could feel she would find it awkward. So he decided to do it old fashioned way and ask Shikhar about her answer after they leave.

It had been quite some time standing in the balcony. For the first time Niyati wasn't nervous. She found Rakesh to be a very good company but could she think about starting a life with him? The answer was a straight no. Rakesh was everything a person would want his life partner to be but her heart was ruled by only one person. No matter what the circumstances now, she could never imagine someone else taking his place.

Niyati had said yes to meeting Rakesh so that Ashu and Shikhar would think about their marriage. If she could somehow convince Rakesh to stall his answer, she would get time to convince them to get married. But for that she needed help from Rakesh.

" I need your help. I am not ready for this marriage. But if we could delay telling this to Ashu and Shikhar it would buy me sometime to convince them for their marriage."

Rakesh didn't like what he heard but he accepted her decision like any good gentleman would. He hadn't given up on Niyati as yet. Shikhar was his friend so he was more than happy to help, and that will also give him some more time to change Niyati's decision. Maybe she would open up to him in time and change her decision.

" There is something else I wanted to tell you. Something you should know before you decide to help me."

Something in Niyati's voice told Rakesh that the matter was very serious. Niyati was gripping the balcony's railing with such a force that her hands had turned white. She was at a loss of words and was pondering from where to start. But one thing was certain, Niyati had to tell Rakesh the consequences in case he decided to help. He deserved the truth. She didn't want him to keep any false hope during all this.

" I have a past..."

Niyati started talking but Rakesh suddenly was looking at his cell with full attention. She could see the changes in his expressions as he continued watching whatever he was in his cell.

" What the hell.... I....is this true....what...I don't know what to say."

Rakesh was stammering. He could not believe what he just saw. It can't be the truth. There must be some misunderstanding. How did the person get his number to send the video. His head was storming with a lot of questions. However wrong it may seem but he needed answers which only she could answer.

Rakesh slowly raised his mobile to show Niyati the video that he was watching. The moment he held it up and Niyati laid her eyes on it, he could feel her face going pale. She started breathing heavily as the voice from video said

" It was just a one night stand. Why are you making a fuss out of it?"