Chapter 23

Shaurya's POV

I should have guessed mother will be behind all this. How could I forget she was the one who started all this in the first place.

She was the one who told me Niyati took money. She tried her level best to try and get me settled with some rich chick. Though her attempts had stopped when she saw that I wasn't the one who would fall for her high society dolls.

Now that Niyati was back in the picture, so was my mother. It can't just be a coincidence.

No matter how hard I had tried to investigate what had happened between Niyati and my mother I found nothing. My mother is a very smart woman. She knows how to play and win when she wants to. She isn't a good businesswoman for nothing. I just wished she was half the mother as much as a good businesswoman she was.

As Shikhar narrated his side of the story a lot of questions started bugging me. The foremost was, why the hell Niyati went to my mother for money? Why didn't she come to me first?

" Wait! So you're telling me Niyati took money from your mother? And for what, to dump your brother? I will never believe it."

Ashu said as Shikhar had stopped narrating and we all sat in silence. All of us lost in our own thoughts.

" Niyu just tell them you didn't take it. Matter closed."

Ashu seemed sure her sister was innocent. But then, I knew she took the money. I had proof of it.

" I took the money."

Niyati said softly looking at the floor. My attention went to her hands, which were on the sofa clutching it tightly, on her either sides. I was sure she must be struggling to control breaking down.

I don't understand why she keeps tormenting herself by hiding the truth. Why doesn't she just let it out? It can't be that bad.

" Oh! Then where is it?"

Looks like Ashu will finally help me get some answers.

" It's there."
Was all Niyati answered.

" There where? In the cupboard? Which one? Yours? Let me go look."

" No! In the bank."

" Which account?"

" Mine"

" How many accounts do you have?"

" Just one"

" Oh you mean the one which was closed because you couldn't even keep the minimum balance? I saw the bank statement long back Niyu. Stop lying to me."

This girl is smarter than I thought. I like her already.

While I was pleased, Niyati was speachless and Shikhar.. Nevermind. He was just there, who knows thinking what.

" By the way when did you take this money?"

" If my guess is right it was ten years back."

Finally my brother woke up.

I just nodded once as Shikhar looked at me as if he was trying to confirm his doubt.

" Ten years ago. So I was still in school. I remember coming for your birthday. Oh God!! How could I be so stupid."

Looks like Ashu realized something.

" What? What are you talking about? Don't create suspense. Just tell us what you remember."

I was just about to ask but Shikhar beat me.

" It's nothing. Ashu it's not what you think."

Niyati started defending already.