Chapter Six

Lou stood by the door, arms crossed as she watched Debbie and Danny walking out of her property. Her heart subtly ached watching Debbie going away with Danny. It would be the very first time that she would spend a week without her little girl; the separation anxiety hit her so badly. If the situation was different, Danny and Debbie wouldn't have to go away, but it was different now. Deep in her core, she wanted to call Debbie. She badly wanted to stop her from going inside the car, wanted to hold her hand and tell her to stay, but her tongue had lost its ability to move. She couldn't utter the right words that she wanted to say. It's the Debbie Ocean's effect; that's what her friends call it. Debbie, the woman she once had, always got that effect on her. Even without doing anything, Debbie could make her heart flutter, make her knees go weak and her mind go in a frenzy state.

"Deb, wait!"

She settled her arms down. Debbie closed the car's compartment and looked back at Lou who was now walking towards her. She waited for her to speak, but Lou just kept on walking 'til both of them stood an inch apart and their breaths met.

"Oh, sorry. That was close." Lou backed away, she then dropped her gaze on the cemented pavement before she looked at Danny who was cozy inside Debbie's car, "Call me, please. I mean, update me about Danny. If you need anything, let me know."

"You need not to worry, Lou."

"Take good care of her, Deb." And finally, Lou stared at her, eyes genuine and raw.

"She's also my child and I won't let anything bad happen to her." The smile on Debbie's lips and the sweet tone of her voice were the reassurance for Lou, and somehow it made her smile.

"Dan is allergic to peanuts. She wants her pancakes fluffy and she doesn't drink milk,.." Lou started, "...doesn't drink milk like you."

Debbie smiled. They both looked at Danny who was playing her tablet inside the car. Their eyes locked on the child that bridged a connection between them even if they were already apart.

"So she only drinks Ovaltine?" Debbie asked, her head turning sideway as she eyed the blonde who was still looking at Danny.

"Ovaltine with a tablespoon of honey." Lou turned to her, "She is so you. A mini you I can say."

"But she looks just like you, except for the hair though." Debbie held her breath as the blonde stared at her. Don't say it, don't say it, "Her eyes, blue and warm like yours. She's beautiful like you."

The world became hazy and all Lou could focus was the beautiful brunette. Did she hear it right? Did Debbie  tell her she's beautiful? Lou was quite alarmed with the loud thumping of her heart, afraid Debbie might hear it. So to brush the tension, she scoffed as she wiped a streak of sweat on the side of her neck.

"She's allergic to dogs too." Lou jested, feigning to be cool, "And she doesn't like bedtime stories. She perfers to read on her own. I packed a few story books of her inside her pink backpack."

Debbie nodded, "Thanks. Will you be okay here?"

"Yeah. You two take care."

Debbie smiled once more before she walked back to the car. Lou smiled back before the blonde waved at Danny, sending her a flying kiss. Debbie paused. She forgot something. She then grabbed something in her handbag, closed the car back and walked towards the blonde again.

"I forgot something."

"What?"

Debbie pulled Lou's right hand, "Chanel No. 5. I got your favorite perfume from a Chanel store in London." She looked at Lou who was grinning from ear to ear, "Don't grin. I paid for it. Real game. No conning."