Chapter Fifty Seven

"I'd like that idea. But it would be a lot better if you guys would actually read the paper case after case so you would have different perspectives over what we are trying to --"

"Uhm Atty."

Debbie paused. The two freshmen that she was talking too were looking at the door. She knew what she was about to see, and for the whole hours of the day, she kept wishing she wouldn't appear but she did.

"It's way past office hours. We will just go ask you over again tomorrow. Have a good night ahead, Atty." Said one of her students who appeared to be in his early twenties before he dragged his friend out of the room.

When the students had gone off, Debbie closed her law book and started arranging the stuff on her desk. She was still there, standing at the door, waiting for her. Debbie knew she wouldn't go and so with an inner yell telling her not to entertain, she still did. The brunette looked at the door and there Lou Miller was, ever dashing and handsome in her green velvet suit. Debbie fixed her skirt before she walked towards the door, with her other hand rolling up the sleeve of her long sleeve blouse, no choice but to talk to her.

"Hey."

"Hey."

"Where's Blaire?"

"Tammys."

"Oh. Uhm..." The brunette looked back inside her office before she looked back at the blonde and leaned on the door frame, "About last night..."

"Yeah that."

"I'm sorry." They spoke in synch which made the two of them laugh awkwardly.

"No, I mean it. I just did not ---"

"No, I should be the one asking for an apology because --"

"Ms. Ocean?"

"Oh, hi Mr. Chad!"

Lou and Debbie's conversation was cut off  when a male teacher, probably one of Debbie's workmates in the department walked in and spoke. Lou held her breath as she stepped back a bit silently watching how the male teacher just barged into Debbie's office after calling her and how Debbie just walked back inside leaving her by the door. It looked like it was a routine - that they were close and probably they were because as Lou stood by the door, she watched as Debbie got a book and handed it to the male teacher laughing. Lou stood outside by the door and watched how the man touched Debbie's forearm and instead of the brunette yanking it, she laughed. Debbie's laughter sounded so sweet and Lou couldn't fathom why her stomach started to churn up. Lou could have walked out, but she couldn't. Despite the fact that it was gross, Lou still watched as Debbie leaned on her desk and how the man looked down at her flirtily. The blonde knew that the man had intentions for the brunette, and she felt a bit frustrated because as she looked at Debbie's eyes, she could see the tremors of those shiny sparkling stars; it was as if the brunette had an intention too.

"No..."Lou could hear Debbie laughing and could see her standing up from her seat, "You're always welcome. And hey, no worries."

The man gave Debbie a smile as he took her hand, "Thank you. Thank you very much."

"As I said, you're always welcome."

"So I'll see you at the event?"

"Yeah sure."

"Okay, goodnight. And drive safely later." The man said before he kissed her on the cheek and took his way out of the room.

When the man left off, Lou didn't wait for Debbie to go to her again by the door. Instead, like the man earlier, Lou went into Debbie's office, shocking the brunette as she started to walk towards her mini fridge and got herself a half-finished iced-coffee. Lou brought the cup towards the sofa silently, with Debbie watching her in awe and when she was about to drink it, it was when she noticed that the lid of the cup was full of lipstick marks. Debbie's lips hung subtly, shocked at Lou's actions, but instead of the blonde dismissing it, Lou nonchanlantly shrugged it and drank the half-finished iced-coffee.

"Lipstick marks can't kill." Lou commented as she gave Debbie a smile, who by the way was standing in front of her on the sofa, still a bit shocked.

"That's my iced-coffee. You didn't ask permission."

Lou looked at the cup, inspected it before she looked back at Debbie, "Didn't see your name. And neither that ugly guy. He didn't ask permission to come in."

"Those lipstick marks are mine."

"Well great." The blonde's lips pulled a smirk before she drank the iced-coffee again while looking at Debbie, "You and that man seems close."

"Well, that is because we are."

"And event?"

Debbie crossed her arms against her chest as she sat on her desk, "We're going to the founding day of the university together."

"Oh." Lou muttered, clearing her throat before she put down the iced-coffee on the mini table in front, "Well, as I was saying, about last night."

"Well, yeah... I apologize for my behavior and for what I said." Debbie started before she jumped off her desk and stood up straightly, looking so apologetic at Lou, "I was drunk. I wasn't in my best mind. I actually forgot what else did I say, but the important thing is I am sorry." She ran her hands through her hair as she sighed, "I really am sorry, Lou. I know we've talked about being friends. I do respect it and I deeply understand. I was just drunk last night, didn't know what else to say. I am deeply ashamed for what happened and I am just sorry. I swear and I will really, really, try my best for it to not happen again."

Lou tilted her head as she stared at her. Debbie clasped her hands together waiting for her response,  but the blonde only looked at her. Right there, Debbie felt as if she was a mural painting being displayed at international museums. Of course, she had been looked at a lot of times, but there was something unfathomable with the way Lou stared at her.

"And you..." Debbie cleared her throat feeling so anxious knowing that Lou's eyes were on her, "You don't have to say sorry for what you did - for not tolerating my acts and for really stopping me. You did good and that, you don't have to apologize."

"I know." And there, that deep husky voice flowed out of her as Lou leaned, her elbows on her knees, her eyes still digging into Debbie's.

"Oh."

"You were drunk. And there is nothing to be sorry for what I did. I am not sorry for what I did."

"Okay."

The blonde stood up and started walking up towards the brunette, who was still standing, with her desk behind her, "The only thing I am sorry about is the fact that..."

The words were left hanging on the blonde's lips. And like a lovesick girl, Debbie's eyes hungrily darted on the blonde's rosegold lips. Debbie didn't know if it was real or not, but she could feel that Lou's face was getting closer and closer. It was like as if she was planning to kiss her. And Debbie almost melt when Lou invaded her space. She was left not knowing what to do but to step back a bit, but damn, there was no space at all for her to step back anymore. Lou looked so famished that Debbie could feel her heart racing. And she wished, deeply wished that Lou would step back because she could feel that her heart was gonna explode, but Lou did not. Instead, with Debbie pushed far off against her desk, Lou snaked her left hand on the brunette's waist.

"The only thing I am sorry about was the fact that I did not kiss you." The blonde spoke casually, her lips speaking out each word so explicitly that it made Debbie blush, "So Debbie... I am sorry." She added in a sultry whisper.

And before the great Debbie Ocean could react, Lou had fiercely claimed the brunette's lips in the most passionate kiss people could ever share. Debbie had been pushed off tightly against the desk, but she could not care; all she could care was the fact that Lou's hands were on her waist and on her back and Lou's lips were on her lips. It was a kiss that could make death disappear and truth to be told, with that kiss, dandelions and tulips started blooming through the cracks of Debbie's ribs.

***