Chapter Thirty Four

She had always dreamt of being held ever so gently, like an ancient thing lost in time, unbeknownst to the world, only to be found at the secret compartments of century old manors. Could something lost that was found and lost again - be found for the second time around? Debbie left out a sigh. Seeing Lou again was an ephemeral pleasure, but still, there was pain. It felt like she was opening Danny's casket, hopeful to see her daughter breathing and alive, but no, Danny was dead. Seeing her ex-wife again felt like opening the same old wound. Needless to say, them seeing each other again was a battle they both knew no one would win.

The brunette was adamant that she had already moved on. That Lou could no longer make her heart bubble in ecstasy. For years, Debbie was sure that the blonde was nothing, but a dead rose slipped in between the pages of her book, but since the moment she saw the blonde, sleep became a miracle. Those eyes. The pain lingering in the blonde's glassy blues. Lou visiting Danny. The blonde sobbing. All of those scenes kept rewinding inside her head and that was why, while Keanu was deep in his slumber, Debbie was standing outside of Lou's home - that home she came back to when she came back from London, the home she had made the most beautiful moments with Danny and Lou.

What the fuck was she doing there? For god's sake, she was only wearing a slip dress underneath her robe. She wanted to go back inside her car, but her feet just wouldn't budge. It was the same house. Nothing has changed. It had been two days since the event in the cemetery, two days since she saw Lou, and now that she was there, she suddenly lost her mind. Debbie didn't know why in the first place she drove towards her ex-wife's house in the middle of the night, but there she was.  The whole house was already dead asleep. All the lights had been switched off, but what could she expect? It was already close to dawn. With a groan of frustration and the urge to kick herself, Debbie was about to open her car door when someone called her.

"Ocean?"

Debbie looked back. And how a little girl ended up in front of her was a blur. She was blonde. Blue eyes. She had two of her teeth missing as she smiled at the very shocked Debbie. It was in the middle of the night, and a little girl, probably at around four to six, was in front of Debbie.

"Pardon?" Debbie asked, eyes wide as she took the image of the girl still looking up at her, smiling. "Did you just call me Ocean?"

The little girl nodded, "You're Ocean. You are the woman in my mommy's wallet."

The brunette looked around. There was nobody except her and the girl. Lou's house was still so dark. Nobody was awake in the whole neighborhood. Could this little girl a ghost? Despite the shock and the little amount of fear trapped in Debbie's heart, the brunette trudged to where the girl was, knelt in front of her as she took a deep breath.

"Hey you,.." Debbie spoke as she looked at the still smiling kid, "...little girl in a Cinderella pajama set, are you a ghost?'

The child grinned, before she rolled her eyes dramatically, "I wish."

"Where are you came from? It's midnight!" Debbie looked around, "Are you lost?"

"My mom's sleeping." The kid answered, her eyes gleaming as she looked at Debbie, "So... now I have finally met you."

"Met me?" Debbie asked, confusion printed all over her face, but she brushed it off, "Okay, enough. Where are you from? You need to go back home. You're still a kid, litte girl in a Cinderella pajama set."

"First off, my name is Blaire. Second, I am not a kid; I am four years old. Third, I am not lost." She looked back and pointed Lou's house, "See that? That's my house, and inside is my beautiful mommy sleeping."