Chapter Nine

𝑳𝒐𝒖 𝑴𝒊𝒍𝒍𝒆𝒓'𝒔 𝑹𝒆𝒔𝒊𝒅𝒆𝒏𝒄𝒆, 11:48 𝑷𝑴

"I'll call someone tomorrow to clear out the guest room." Lou spoke, eyes not meeting Debbie's as she handed her a pillow and a blanket.

Debbie nodded coldly, "Sure."

The night was already at its finest. Danny was already deep in her slumber and her parents were just about to hit the sack, but this time, differently. After giving Debbie the blankets and the pillow, Lou limped her way upstairs to her room, leaving Debbie on the couch in the living area. The two hadn't spoken yet. And clearly, Debbie was still mad for what happened earlier that day and so was Lou. When Lou disappeared, Debbie piled the pillow on the couch. She wasn't used to lying in such a limited space, but she had to for now. The lights inside the house were now off and the only light that could be seen was from the single lamppost standing outside.

For a moment, Debbie laid awake. She couldn't help herself, but to notice that the interior and the exterior of the house remained the same. The furnitures remained the same too. The only thing that changed were them - she and Lou. If there was one thing Debbie regretted, it was not the one when she fell in love with Claude and eventually ending up in prison, it was putting up a marriage with Lou. She regretted marrying her. Her stomach twisted at the idea of how stupid she was at doing so - because why would she marry the person she so dearly loved, and in the end, breaking up the marriage and leaving that person were the strings she had to pluck? Lou didn't deserve it. She deserved a committed marriage, a wife that could heal her, a wife that would support her, a wife that could cultivate her well-being and cater a space for her to grow. She deserved a wife that could love her during the nights when she werent lovable. Those things, Debbie didn't do. Lou did everything for her, yet, Debbie did one thing - she left her.

Lou, at all times and never once, she made Debbie feel that love can be discerned softly. Her fingertips touched Deborah Ocean's bruises, and at the very first time they met, adrenaline rushed through Debbie's body the fastest way possible. Caught in a trance, Lou held her hand, looked her in the eye with a calculating manner, and for a moment, Debbie's heart felt heavy with the reason she was oblivious about.

The police men were already patrolling the streets. They were everywhere and she had nowhere to run anymore. Debbie held her breath as she stood in a small space of an alley. It was dark and she was waiting so hard for the moment when she could run free, but the footsteps of the policemen and their heavy flashlights were already splashing the scene. In any moment now, she could be held captive by the law.

She wanted to cry and call her older brother for help, but the future mockery was something she would not like and so she stood there in the alley, ready to meet whatever fate she had. The sack of money was on her feet and at the moment, she didn't want it anymore. All she wanted to do was to be able to run away from the police and be free. But just as she was about to do so, a pair of blue eyes pushed her back against the cold wall. Red lips, lashes so long; a beaut clad in a leather jacket and leather pants was in front of her, but before she could even react, the woman held both of her wrists, pinned it above her head and kissed her. She tasted mint, she tasted strawberry, and more so, she tasted something that touched her heart. Was it love? She didn't know. But it was so addicting to the point that Debbie wriggled her hands and when she was freed, she cirled her hands on the woman's neck, pulled her even closer and she kissed her back - with the same passion, same intensity, and same heat. For a moment, time stood still that Debbie didn't even notice that the police men already passed their way.

"I saved your ass."

Lou saved her, she always did. In times of bulky storms, the australian beauty would always be rushing to save her, and if she could not, Lou was always ready to dance with Debbie under the storm. To have a love like that was rare. Lou was rare.