Hachi ~ News

8- News

- - - - - -

I know. I can't believe myself either.

I didn't leave the Uchiha household because I was mad at the two brothers. No, I'm over that. And even if I were mad, I would have stayed there. But the reason's different.

Mom had called me...

~*~

"Sayuri?" My mother's voice rang through the phone after I hesitantly answered her sudden call. I stood beside the stairway that led upstairs; I was about to leave to the guest room.

I sighed, "Yes, mother? Why'd you call?" I gripped my hand onto the railing, waiting for her answer.

"Your father and I... have some news for you," I stayed silent, but I heard her sigh through the line. "It's nothing bad, honey. Your father and I didn't get into another fight."

Good.

"I think you'd be very happy to know, and we feel that... you should hear it in person. May you come over as soon as possible?"

I didn't know if I should say yes. If I did, Sasuke and Itachi would think I left because I was angry at them; I didn't want to start talking to them again just yet. And I would keep wondering what the big news was if I said no.

Pretty much having no choice, I responded back with, "I'll be there in fifteen minutes."

~*~

And there I stood: at the doorway of my own home. It was really nothing fancy at all, yet it was a three-story house. It was no mansion, but the Nakaharas were still rich; it was just that we wanted to settle for a simple life... for now. And we were doing fine.

Even though I wanted to come back home from day one of the project-- reason being my rivalry with Sasuke was exhausting --I was hesitant of knocking. Would the news affect me? I thought. In a good way or a bad way?

I pushed those thoughts aside, knocking on the door three times. I stood there, setting my hands together as I looked around at the bright green garden my mother had spent so much time on. I was proud of her work. The color of the tulips glowed; it was as if they smiled at any visitor that came through. The grass of the yard sparkled as the sun beat down on it. The bushes were neatly trimmed; you couldn't tell that there were any stray greenery sticking out from it.

I took a whiff of the air as I heard the door open. I turn my back to whoever did so: my mother. She stood, her left hand still gripping onto the doorknob as she smiled brightly, her teeth sparkling. "Sayuri! You made it. I thought you wouldn't come; you were a little late."

Whoops.

She had on a surprised look on her face as she stepped back. "Oh, come on in, dear. Take a seat on the couch."

I grinned at her before taking a step into the household. I made my way to the couch that could seat two people. My father had walked into the room from the kitchen and noticed me sitting there.

"Hey, Dad," I greeted.

He smiled ever-so-brightly. "Hello, dear." He walks over to the couch across from me, sitting down next to my mother. I could tell by the looks of their faces that what they were about to say was serious. I didn't say anything else. I just sat there.

Mom was the first to start. "Before I tell you the news, I want to know how your stay at the Uchiha household is going. I-If you don't mind me asking."

"It's okay, Mom," I smiled. "Could be better, though."

"I hope they're not doing anything to harm you, considering you are basically partnered up with... that little--"

"Shin," Mom gives a stern stare at Dad after cutting him off.

"...Uchiha." He finishes, sighing in awe that he couldn't say what he intended.

I smiled slightly, almost a smirk. "They're treating me fine. Don't worry," I partially lied.

It was true about Itachi.

"Can we get to the news, you two?" Neither of us said anything. Dad just stared at me, and I just nodded once with a blank expression. She sighs as she and Dad look at each other. He places his hand over hers, making me give them an unsure look. She turns her head to look at me again. "When you left to stay with Sasuke, I've been having huge headaches, and I threw up a few times. Your father thought I was having a disease, so we agreed to go to the doctor the same night. The doctor gave me a check-up..."

She paused, leaving me hanging. I braced myself. Don't tell me you have cancer, I thought.

Dad continued for her. "His exact words he said to her when she got the results were, 'Congratulations, Mrs. Nakahara. You're having a baby.'"

My eyes widened as a shocked expression came upon my face. "Y-You're--"

"Yes, Sayuri," my mother smiled. "You're going to have a younger brother or sister."