NiJyuu-Ichi ~ Afraid

21- Afraid

- - - - - -

I gripped the seat tightly, feeling the adrenaline rush inside me for a second. I panted as I turned my head to face Itachi. I furrowed my eyebrows at him. "What was that for?!"

"Answer my question, Sayuri," he demanded, ignoring my question. "Are you being serious?"

I bowed my head down. "Just... don't get mad."

His hands gripped the steering wheel even tighter as he shut his eyes. He lets out a heavy sigh, taking all of this in. "So, you mean to say that you were walking out on him after he just kissed you."

My eyes widened. "N-No, Itachi! Not at all! It's just that--"

"That's just messed up."

"I didn't mean it like that, okay?! I didn't know how to handle a situation where someone steals a kiss from you! How was I supposed to respond?"

"I understand that," he says in a monotone. "But, you chose the wrong path and walked down through it, and now you have a wounded wrist because of it." I slid down the leather seat a little as I looked out of the window from the corner of my eyes. I never responded back. His cue to continue. "I'm sure he felt at least a little heartbroken when you were about to walk out of his room. I hope you know that when he is, he sometimes loses control of himself for a moment."

I scoffed in utter disappointment. "That would have been good enough information for me to know before I went up to his room."

"Hey," he raised his hands up slightly. "I didn't know that was going to happen. I don't have amazing superpowers, Sayuri."

I bit my lip, trying to calm myself down. "Can we just go back to the house?"

That surprised Itachi. "Are you sure you want to go back right away?"

"That's where we are going, right?"

He blinked a few times, letting silence come between us for about two seconds. He shook his head and leaned back on the seat, putting his hands on the steering wheel. "Not at first, but if you say so." He sets the car on drive and reluctantly starts driving off.

There was no turning back.

~*~

Sasuke groaned as he slowly opened his eyes and held his head. It was throbbing numerous times as he slowly sat up. His arms felt stiff. When his eyes were fully opened, he realized that he was lying on the carpeted floor of his room.

He blinked in confusion. "How did I end up on the floor?"

The Uchiha remembered coming home upset, taking a bag, and sneaking a bottle of sake out of the kitchen. He remembered drinking nearly the rest of it, the half of it drunken while Itachi was trying to take it away from him. But after he took a few more sips, he remembered losing part of his mind.

Everything was a blur to him for thirty minutes, the longest that he managed to stay awake before being knocked out. All he could remember was that someone had ran into the room and took the sake away from him. After that, he felt as if he were dreaming.

His head throbbed in pain once again, snapping him out of his thoughts as he stood up. "What happened?"

He heard a faint noise of the front door closing downstairs. He heard two voices afterwards-- one girl and one boy, all too familiar. Although, he couldn't quite register what they were saying. Sasuke decided to walk downstairs and see who those two were. He did his best to ignore his huge headache and his urge to fall onto the floor as he kept walking.

He reached the bottom of the stairs and saw light coming from the kitchen. The voices were easy to understand, and clearly, it was Sayuri and Itachi. Sasuke was hesitant whether he should go into the kitchen or not. He felt as if something bad had happened before he fell into slumber. Not a deep slumber; the sky was nearly dark. The day hasn't ended yet.

Sasuke decides to listen to their conversation first to see if they say anything about what actually happened earlier. He secretly hoped that it wasn't life-changing.

"So, how are you taking this all in?" He heard Itachi ask.

"Well, honestly, I don't know," Sayuri responded back. "I don't even know if... I could see him the same way again."

"You're starting to get scared of Sasuke?"

Sasuke furrowed his eyebrows and tried his best to stay hidden. "Why is she afraid?" he thought.

She started to stammer. "Do... do you think he's awake right now?"

"Come on, Sayuri. You shouldn't be afraid of Sasuke just because he was intoxicated. I mean, I know I should have warned you that he may start losing his mind. But, I didn't think he would... make your wrist bleed."

Sasuke's expression suddenly changed into a stunned one. "I made her wrist bleed?" He felt himself tremble with guilt. He let his intoxication cost him his friendship with Sayuri. It would probably have been his only chance to be friends with her. Would they go back to being enemies again? Or would she distance herself away from him because she was so afraid of getting physically hurt? He didn't want either of those to happen.

He wanted to know if it was actually true. He wanted to know if Itachi's assumptions are correct. He walked out into the living room and hesitantly made his way into the kitchen with a blank expression on his face.

Shock in the air.

"Sasuke," Itachi mumbled. "Are you still... hallucinating?"

He shook his head at his older brother.

Sasuke looks over at Sayuri from the corner of his eyes. She stood by the counter, leaning on it as she looked down at her right wrist. It was freshly bandaged. Again, a hint of guilt surged through him.

"Sayuri..." Sasuke started. He turned and slowly walked closer to her. A worried expression filled his entire face. Sasuke tried laying his hand on her shoulder, but she flinched.

"Sorry..." she choked out. Sayuri walks past him quickly, her head bowed down. She walks out of the kitchen without another word.

Sasuke was even more stunned than ever. It was true. He screwed up so badly.

She was scared of him.