Jyuu-Roku ~ Mistake

16- Mistake... or not?

- - - - - -

White puffs came out of my mouth as I exhaled. It was colder than I expected. I should be glad the sun was out and uncovered. At least something else was keeping me warm.

I reached the fields that Kiba was talking about. I didn't really have to ask him where it was. This was where we usually met when we hung out with friends, but this was the first time he asked me to meet him here alone. I had a funny feeling in the pit of my stomach right now, and Kiba wasn't even here yet.

I looked down at the phone and stared at the time. 10:00AM.

I shot up as a familiar voice called out to me from afar. "Sayuri!" I looked up, but I saw no one there. I turned my head to look behind, and a few meters away stood Kiba Inuzuka, with Akamaru by his side. I set my phone back in my pocket and slyly smiled as we walked toward each other until we were face-to-face.

And when we were at that point, that's when I realized that Akamaru was... nearly as tall as I am.

"Wow," I say in awe. "It must have been a while since I saw Akamaru! I wonder if he remembers me..."

"He does," Akamaru licks me on the side of my face, covering it in drool. I widened my eyes and we both laughed as Akamaru barks with joy. "See?"

I pursed my lips together, raising my eyebrows. "I didn't even think that was possible. I thought he forgot me a long time ago. I mean, it's been a few years since I saw him until now. Unless he kept hearing my name everywhere."

"Possibility." Kiba shrugged. Although, it seemed like he was lying.

"Anyways, why'd you call me here? Did you want to tell me something or... is it just to hang out?"

"I have to admit something important to you." He states in a serious tone.

Something... important?

Should I be worried? Is the truth supposed to be... shocking? Should I be eager to find out? More importantly... will it affect me as much?

I don't even know why I'm asking myself this if I don't know the answer to it.

"Um," I bit my lip and looked down. "Okay, go ahead."

He takes a deep breath and scratches the back of his neck. Kiba laughs nervously. "W-Well... you see--"

"Kiba-kun!" A girl voice shouted. I looked behind him, seeing Hinata running toward him with one arm raised. I froze as she continued. "May I take Akamaru with me on a walk?"

Kiba looked a little unsure as he looked from Akamaru to her. "Are you sure you can be careful?"

I grinned. "Come on, Kiba. You're saying it like you never trained Akamaru. I'm sure he knows what he is doing. And plus, Hinata would be protected if he's around. So why not?"

Hinata flashes me a small smile and nod. "You're right," Kiba answered. He gestures Akamaru towards Hinata. "Just be careful. Alright?"

She nods and walks the opposite direction with Akamaru already on her trail.

It wasn't until they were a good distance away from us when I realized that I was now officially alone with Kiba.

I snapped out of my thoughts as he continued. "So, where were we?"

"You... had something to tell me." I say with my eyebrows raised. I squinted my eyes a little.

"Oh, right," he laughs nervously and scratches the back of his neck, once again. "I don't know how to say it to you."

"Let it out. I won't laugh."

He sighs, looking down on the ground. Complete silence took over for a moment until I heard him mumble something. I couldn't quite get out what he was saying. "Wait, what?"

"I said I--" Again, he lowers his voice.

I got a little impatient. "Kiba, please speak up."

"I love you, Sayuri Nakahara! There, I said it!"

...

I don't really have any thoughts on this. I'm just... purely shocked. I thought it was just a small liking, but it was long enough to turn into love? It looked like he meant it, too.

But damn... how am I supposed to respond to this?

I stood there, saying nothing. I wasn't looking him in the eye, but I wasn't looking away from him either. My eyes were wide. It was hard for me to breathe. I blinked a few times, which suddenly caught his attention.

"I-I'm sorry for yelling. I was too afraid to let it out and--" I interrupted him.

"No, it's fine. I understand."

"So y-you're not mad?"

I shook my head and smiled. "Why would I be? You just told me how you felt. There's really nothing to be mad about."

Kiba had a scared look on. His eyes were full of hope as he asked me this, "But, do you feel the same way, Sayuri?"

Somehow, I thought my silence would have told him that I didn't. But he just kept waiting for my answer while I stood there. Did I feel the same way? I always told myself that I did, but that was before Sasuke and I agreed on ending the rivalry. I should ask myself this instead: did my feelings change overtime?

"I'm sorry, Kiba," I mumbled. "but I'm actually... not really sure."

"Well, can I find out now?"

I gave him a confused look. "What?"

"If you still feel butterflies in your stomach while you're talking to me, then that's a yes."

"I don't normally feel funny when I talk to someone I like," I responded, rubbing my arms.

"There has to be some other way," he stayed silent for a moment, looking away from me. Afterwards, he turns his head back to me. "May I kiss you?"

I nearly choked on my breath. "What--?"

Before I could even finish my sentence, he grabs my shoulders and quickly leans in to kiss me. I was shocked. I didn't resist quick enough, and now, his lips were on mine.

I didn't want him to think I didn't want this, even though it was partially true. So I moved my arms up to hold his, but I still kept my eyes open and resisted the urge to close them as he deepened the kiss.

Oh, dear. I hope no one's watching. It could turn ugly.

~*~

He realized it was a mistake to follow her here.

He froze and held his breath as he saw Kiba practically embracing Sayuri in a long, deepened kiss. Sasuke didn't know why his heart felt... different, all of a sudden. He shouldn't be. After all, she wasn't kissing back, even though her back was facing him.

But then, she moves his arms up and grips Kiba's. She made no effort on pulling away.

She was kissing him back. For sure.

Sasuke couldn't help but feel his blood boil in anger as he saw the whole thing. He thought he was just angry. Wrong. He didn't want to admit this, but he was jealous.

Many thoughts swirled all over his head as he tried accepting the truth. He wanted to see himself there instead. He wanted to see himself kissing Sayuri. He wanted to kiss Sayuri--

"Stop it, Sasuke!" He yelled to himself. "You don't know what you are thinking."

He had enough of seeing this. He would just keep seeing them kissing, and he would eventually lose his mind.

Sasuke starts the car, and without letting it warm up, he slams his foot on the gas pedal and starts speeding off away from them until they were out of sight.

Maybe he already did lose his mind.