Jyuu-Shichi ~ Intoxicated

17- Intoxicated

- - - - - -

I finally pulled away from that kiss when I heard a car from behind me. I turned my head to see a familiar black car speeding off into the distance. Well, that was a good distraction from what just happened. Though, it lasted for a short moment before Kiba brought it up again.

"Um," he scratched the back of his neck whilst looking nervous. "I'm sorry about that."

This time, I didn't say "it's alright". I just blinked and looked away from him. I was sure he thought he screwed things up by doing that.

He grips my left wrist. "I really am."

I just nod once.

"Why aren't you talking to me?"

"You shouldn't have done that."

He looked taken back. "Why?"

I sighed. "It was too soon. We're not even dating."

He looked down in embarrassment. "I understand. It won't happen again."

I look up at Kiba, who had a painful look on his face. And suddenly, guilt surged through me. I may have broken his heart by saying that, but I was only telling the truth. I don't believe it's right to kiss someone before you date him/her. I decided to make him feel better, since this was mostly my fault.

I fake a smile. "W-Well, enough of the sadness, Kiba," he looked up. "I still have a few hours to kill before I have to go back. Why don't we hang out for the rest of the time?"

He slyly smiles and nods. "Right."

I looked at his right hand and held it with my left. I thought about intertwining it, but decided to not go with it. I smiled as we started walking away from the fields and to the sidewalk to walk around Konoha.

From the corner of his eyes, I could see him smiling. A real smile. And that made me feel happy. Maybe I was so sure about my answer after all.

It seemed short for only an hour, but maybe because I had something to do. We talked about random things, we passed by some Konoha students and waved at every single one of them, and we even passed by Hinata and Akamaru, who seemed to be in a good condition.

And then, that's when we saw Ino walking by. The first thing she saw was our hands.

"Oh, whoa!" She shouted. "Sayuri! Are you and Kiba--"

"No. Well, not yet anyway," Kiba answered. I made no exception to that. I didn't want to see him sad.

"Oh, really, now?" She teased. "Anyways, does Sasuke and his older brother know about you... taking a walk around Konoha with Kiba?"

"Uh," I pursed my lips and smiled nervously. "Well, I sorta told them I'd be out alone."

Ino smirked. "Liar, liar--"

"But it's only because they would surely follow me if I said I was meeting up with Kiba! Okay?"

"I get it," Ino and Kiba say in unison.

I gave them a weird look. "Well, okay then..." I took a deep breath and attempted to change the subject. "So, how's living with Naruto treating you so far?"

She shrugs. "Not bad, actually. His parents are ironically really calm. I really don't understand how Naruto is so energetic. I keep thinking: who did he get it from?"

"It's a mystery that will never be solved," I joked.

She slaps my shoulder. "Whatever."

Before either of us could make anymore comments, I felt my phone vibrating in my back pocket, causing me to let go of Kiba's hand. I furrowed my eyebrows together as I took my phone out. It was a random number. Is this important?

"Um, excuse me," I nervously smiled as I walked a few feet away from them before I answered my phone. "Hello?"

"Sayuri? Is that you?"

"Uh, yeah. Who is this?"

"Itachi."

I sighed in relief. "Oh. Wait, how did you get my number?"

"I looked in the phone book and saw your family's home number. I called them and told them who I was, and I asked for your number."

I blinked. "Weird."

"I wouldn't do this for nothing, Sayuri. This is really urgent."

My heartbeat suddenly increased in speed, and my breathing was uneasy. "What is it?"

"Sasuke came home really upset. He stormed into his room after I saw him walk out of the kitchen with a small bag. He said nothing."

"So, how is this of my concern, then?"

"I went into the kitchen, and, well, let's just say the bottle of sake is missing."

I froze. I felt like I was choking. Did he really...? "W-Wait, you mean to say that--"

"It's been an hour already. I tried taking it away from him with all I had. I tried my best," I stayed silent. He sighs as he continued. "Sayuri."

"Just tell me the truth. No hints. Straight up tell me." I say a little louder than usual.

"Sasuke's intoxicated."