Jyuu-Hachi ~ One... and another

18- One... and another

- - - - - -

"He's... drunk?" I held onto my cellphone tightly when I realized I was about to drop it due to my sweaty palms. My breathing became severely uneasy. "W-What--? Why did he do that? Normally, he'd be sulky and not talk to anyone. But intoxicate himself? Something's really up, Itachi."

"That's what I thought at first," he responded. "I tried asking him what was bothering him, but he would just tell me to go away."

"S-Should I try to ask him?" I stuttered.

He didn't say anything through the line for a few seconds. "I don't even know if he will actually tell you, though."

"We'll never know unless we try."

Itachi sighs in defeat. "Fine."

Neither of us said anything to each other, and we both hung up.

Sasuke, you better have a good reason for this, I thought. I took a deep breath as I turned and slowly walked back to the two. Now, this was strange. For a moment, Kiba was on my mind, but it seems like the thought of Sasuke comes around a lot more. And now, I was this concerned about him.

"Well?" Ino says, making me snap out of my thoughts. "Who was it?"

"Itachi," I blankly respond with.

"You mean, Sasuke's older brother called you?" Kiba adds in. "For what?"

"Um, something happened around the Uchiha household, and I need to get it under control."

"So you're leaving?" A hint of sadness snuck into his tone of voice as his expression suddenly changed to a serious one.

"I'm sorry, Kiba." I give him a reassuring smile that hardly helped at all. I sighed and turned to the direction of the house and started walking forward. After moving about ten feet, though, I turned my head to face him. "I'll try to text you later, okay?"

He nods, and smiles brightly.

"Hey!" Ino complained. "You better not forget about me!"

"Obviously, I won't," I smiled before I turned my head back and started walking back to Sasuke's house.

~*~

Wow. I couldn't believe how I suddenly got even more worried as time passed.

I frantically re-dialed Itachi's number as I reached the gate of the Uchihas' house. My breathing increased as I saw Itachi's car messily parked on the curb. I was relieved, knowing that Sasuke didn't crash the car out of anger.

I was sure he drowned his mind in alcohol after he returned home.

The ringing stopped, and was now replaced by a familiar voice. "What is it, Sayuri?" Itachi's voice rung through the phone.

"I'm her by the gate already. Open up," I said. More like demanded. I didn't hear a response from him. Instead, I waited for a moment until the gate finally opened, revealing Sasuke's older brother.

"Oh, so there was my car," Itachi complained. "I thought Sasuke parked it somewhere away from this place and left it there."

"Did Sasuke come out of his room after you ended the call?" I asked, getting back into the subject.

"Nope. He's still up there, probably finishing that bottle of sake he freakin' stole from the kitchen."

I grunted as we start walking the direction of the house. "Why didn't you take it away from him?!"

"Hey! I told you over the phone that I tried to take it away from him. I even tried when we got off of the phone, right until you called saying that you were here!"

Psh, being so defensive, huh.

"That brat didn't say anything nice, either," he added.

"Oh, great. Now I have to calm him down, too?" I sighed.

Itachi and I walked inside the house, and I immediately made my way to the stairs and walked up quickly without another word. I hear a faint "good luck" come out from Itachi's lips as I reached the second floor.

I gulped.

I took a deep breath and sauntered down the hall. I was lucky I had enough time to lower my fear since his room was at the other end of the hall. As I approached the slightly open door that got closer, it only made me worry more.

I braced myself as I opened the door, trying my best to not make it creak, let alone make even a tiny sound. I peeked in and saw Sasuke sitting on the floor, leaning on the bedside. He was facing away from the door and was instead staring at the wall across from him. He was still. I couldn't even see him inhale and exhale. He was truly emotionless.

Now, I was unsure if I should go over to him and talk to him or not. Would I get him even more angry?

But I had to. I need to know.

Sighing quietly, I slowly tiptoed into the room and left the door open as I walked slowly and silently toward Sasuke. I was nearly up to the point where we could have made eye contact, but he was looking down. It looked like his visions were blurred.

We just stayed in the same position. Not even moving at all.

But I quickly made my move as soon as Sasuke attempted to take another drink out of the bottle.

"Sasuke, stop!" I shouted, taking the bottle of sake away from him. I held onto it tightly so he wouldn't be able to rip it out of my grip.

"Give it back, Sayuri," he snarled. He didn't make any effort on trying to take the bottle away from me. He just demanded it.

"No," I retort. "We have to talk."

"I'm not in the mood to talk right now."

"We're talking about this, and that's final!" Sasuke scoffs and looks down with his eyes tightly shut, and his right hand was balled up into a fist. I continued, softening my voice, "What brought you into this?"

"You don't need to know,"

"I have to know," I tried looking into his eyes, but since his head was down, his bangs had covered them. "What did this to you?"

No answer.

"Who did this to you?"

He shot up, taking me back by surprise a little. I could finally see his eyes, and they were bloodshot red. Not from anger or sadness, but from both. I blinked a few times, waiting for his response. Only then, I realized he was actually looking into my eyes for once. And now that he was, I was getting nervous.

I shifted back a little, slightly looking away from Sasuke. But he stopped me by grabbing onto my shoulders.

I stayed still, but widened my eyes as we both stared at each other. What was fate about to throw at us? I was too afraid to find out. What was going to happen next?

He leans in closer to me, placing his forehead on mines and whispers to me, "You did this to me."

I froze as he immediately closes the gap between us. I couldn't believe it.

He was kissing me.