Ni ~ The first day

2: First day

— — — — — —

        I waited in front of Sasuke’s house, sitting on the travel suitcase, playing apps on my phone. I’ve been waiting for ten minutes already. Of course, not for Sasuke, but for Kakashi-sensei to show up. He had already been to Shino’s house to get Sakura started. And, I feel sorry for Shino. Because I know Sakura is going to complain for those thirty days she had. Complaining that she wanted to be partnered up with Sasuke, or that she’s too popular and pretty to even be a foot near Shino.

        Kakashi soon pulled up to the curb, close to me. He turned off the engine and set foot on the ground. He stood up, holding a folder in his hand, and shut the driver door. He saw me and walked toward me. I set my phone back in my pocket and looked up at him.

        “Where’s Sasuke at? This is his house, right?” He asked.

        I shrugged. “I’m pretty sure he wouldn’t lie to his worst enemy about it.”

        Right on queue. Sasuke had opened the gate and walked out, his hands in his pocket. He stood next to me and looked at Kakashi-sensei. I took a glance at him and, slowly, moved away from him. Kakashi-sensei gave us a weird look before he started. “Alright, so I’m here to start you off. I’ll only stay for an hour to see your progress, and then I will leave. Every three days, I’ll be checking on you both to see how things are going. Now, I don’t want to see any one of you dead on the floor when I come back.”

        I laughed quietly. “Can’t promise you that.”

        “Itachi won’t even allow it.” Sasuke added.

        I gave him a weird look. “Itachi? Is he your brother or something?”

        “Yeah. Why do you care?” He says, a little louder than usual.

        I rolled my eyes. “Whatever, Uchiha,”

        “Let’s get started,” Kakashi-sensei said as he walked through the gate. I stood up from my suitcase and took out its handles. I gripped it and dragged it over, letting the wheels support it. Before stepping into the gate, I look back at Sasuke, noticing he was just staring at me. I gave him a weird look. 

        “Damn it, Uchiha. Stop staring at me and get in.”

        Sasuke shakes his head, snapping back to the real world. He then scoffed and gave me a look. “Whatever.”

        I rolled my eyes before stepping into the gate, seeing that Kakashi-sensei was waiting for us. I sensed Sasuke’s presence behind me, but I tried not to let it bother me. Sasuke had walked past me, but not without kicking my ankle. I grunted. “Ouch!” I yelled before kicking his back, making him almost stumble over.

        Kakashi-sensei noticed and rose his eyebrows. “That’s coming out of your first progress grade.”

        I huffed. “Thanks a lot, emo boy!”

        “No problem, pimple-face,” I gasped as we stopped in front of his door. I held my face to feel if there were any pimples, but Sasuke just laughed instead. I huffed at him. “Haha, gotcha.”

        “Enough with the names, you two,” Kakashi-sensei said as the door opened, revealing someone who looks a little similar to Sasuke. His hair was down, and reached down to his chin. His eyes were a different color-- probably scarlet. His outfit choices were different. He had a headband on, with a Konoha symbol on it. 

        The scarlet-eyed Uchiha looked at me in wonder. “Who is this, Sasuke? Your girlfriend?”

        “NO!” Sasuke and I yelled.

        Itachi chuckled quietly. “Whatever you say, Sasuke.”

        “This is Sayuri Nakahara. Sasuke’s partner in this month-long project. She basically has to live here for thirty days, and I will be coming here every three days to check up on their progress. And, besides, they do need to get along better. They have been fighting since day one.”

        Itachi nodded while studying my face. I slightly rose my eyebrows, almost giving him a confused look. He took a breath before replying. “Alright. I’ll make sure they won’t kill each other while you’re gone. But that might be tough.”

        “I’ll be staying here for an hour to get them started.”

        Itachi nodded, then smiled at me. “Alright. Come on in, Sayuri.”

        I was about to step inside the Uchiha household when Kakashi-sensei took hold of my bag. I turned my head and gave him a weird look, while he said, “Don’t you think Sasuke should take that up to the guest room for you?”

        I stared at him for a moment, then laughed. “No, I don’t think so. I don’t trust him with my bag!”

        Sasuke rose his eyebrow at me. “Really, now?”

        “Now, now, Sayuri. That’s one of the requirements for your project.” Kakashi-sensei added.

        “What? Just by not carrying a bag up to a room is going to affect our grade?”

        “Trust. Trust is important. Your grade will drop down twenty percent if you don’t provide trust.”

        “But--! Come on!” I complained.

        Kakashi-sensei shook his head. “You know what to do.”

        I looked over at Sasuke, who was smirking. I shot him a death glare and loosened my grip around the handle, letting him take the travel suitcase. I walked inside the house, with Sasuke and Kakashi-sensei following behind me shortly after. I crossed my arms and stood next to Itachi, while Sasuke slung my luggage over his shoulders, about to step upstairs.

        Kakashi-sensei followed behind him. “I’ll watch him, just in case.”

        Sasuke grunted and stepped upstairs, swearing quietly while Kakashi-sensei was following him.

        Itachi took a glance at me without turning his head and smiled. “So, you’re the famous Sayuri Nakahara, eh?”

        “What are you talking about?” I retort, giving him a weird look.

        “I would always see Sasuke come home, ready to talk about you. I’m guessing you two must talk... quite a lot.”

        I laughed. “Heh, yeah. You could say that.”

        “He comes home aggravated most of the time. Suspecting you’re the reason behind it?”

        “Then I won. I won if he ever comes home pissed.” I smirked.

        We let silence come between us for a few seconds, then he asks, “So, you’re both enemies?”

        I nodded. “Always have, always will. But I guess that’s just how our relationship goes. We always fight, and there’s competition between us. Perfect relationship of the enemies.” I grinned.

        He chuckled. “What a complicated bond you two have. I’ll make sure I change that.” He says before winking.

        I smirk at him. “That, my friend, is going to be a hard thing to do.”

        Sasuke and Kakashi-sensei came downstairs right when I finished my sentence. Sasuke just had a blank expression on his face. Typical Sasuke. He had his hands in his pocket, seeming a little less interested. 

        I’m pretty sure Kakashi-sensei was smiling behind that mask of his. “Well, you have an hour to make your first progress report good!”

        Sasuke and I smiled at each other, more like a competition.

        The thirty days start now.