NiJyuu-Hachi ~ I should do the same

28- I should do the same

- - - - - -

Sayuri hadn't stepped out of the bedroom all day.

Ever since she finished her breakfast, she went up to the room and shut the door. And the door hadn't opened up. Not even once.

It was now seven o'clock in the evening. Sasuke and Itachi were in the living room as usual. They just sat on the leather couches, talking. And guess what they were talking about? Why Sayuri went upstairs and never bothered to step out of the guest room.

"It's like she suddenly went from being happy to depressed," Itachi sighed, moving his head down slightly to face the ground. "No offense to her, but she's acting like she has some sort of mental disorder."

"Do you think I should go up there to check on her?" Sasuke avoids making eye contact with Itachi. He fiddles his thumbs together and stares blankly at the living room table in front of him.

While Sasuke avoids finding out Itachi's reaction to this, Itachi only ends up blinking. "It really depends. Will she let you?"

"We'll never know unless we try," The young Uchiha stands up and walks toward the stairs. Before taking his steps up, he finishes off the conversation with a statement.

"She helped me when I was feeling down, and so, I should do the same for her."

Sasuke had left Itachi there, who had a surprised expression on.

Itachi was stunned at Sasuke's generosity for Sayuri's current state. He thought that Sasuke would make him go up to her room and comfort her and make her feel better from whatever was bothering her. Boy, did fate prove him wrong. And now, he felt as if this whole project changed the two for good. They did learn so much. And they matured quite well.

His thoughts? If only Kakashi were here to see this.

~*~

Sasuke was now hesitant on knocking the guest room door. He realized that it was just easy for him to say. But really, he didn't know what was in store for him if he tried to talk to her. Would she get angry? Would she tell him to leave? The possibilities are endless.

He thought for a moment. This was probably how Sayuri felt when she went up to his room. She had a good reason to be hesitant and uncertain, though. Sasuke was drunk out of sadness. In this situation, Sayuri was sober and was most likely sad. This position was a lot easier.

I have nothing to be afraid of, he thought.

He held the doorknob. He wanted to see if it was unlocked first, so he wouldn't have knocked for nothing. Sasuke twisted the doorknob counter clockwise, and it turned easily.

It was unlocked. Sasuke pushed the door open slowly, begging for the door to make no noise whatsoever. The sight of the room was narrow due to the door being barely open. But the view was clear enough for him to see that Sayuri was lying down on the bed, her back facing him.

Sasuke was awed; he couldn't tell if Sayuri was asleep or if she was just laying down because she was tired. He had to go over there to see her condition.

He opened the door a little wider this time, or at least wide enough for him to squeeze into the room quietly. Sasuke took baby steps; the carpet would surely creak if he walked normally. He had successfully got into the room, leaving the door open. He snuck over to the other side of the bed. He stops, moving his head forward. Hoping to see that Sayuri was awake, he leans forward a little more. And sure enough, she was awake.

Her phone was in her hand, and earbuds were connected to it. She was listening to music. It was very loud, too. Sasuke could even hear it from where he was standing. She hadn't noticed him come into the room... again.

Now, he was reluctant on whether he should remind her of his presence or if he should just sneak back out of the room. But at the same time, he was mentally cursing to himself. He had already told Itachi he would talk to her about why she isolated herself into the room. He had to fulfill it.

He didn't have an answer, so fate decided for him.

Sayuri suddenly took out her earbuds from her ear, putting down her cellphone on the bedside table. She sat up and finally noticed Sasuke standing near the edge of the bed.

She jumped slightly upon seeing him. "How long have you been standing there?" Her voice was a little hoarse, but Sasuke didn't care. At least she could still talk.

He stood up straight, looking her in the eye. "I just got here."

"Oh," She sighed, combing her hair with her bare right hand.

She knows you are here now. Ask her! "Um," he coughed. "You've been in the room all day. About eight hours."

Sayuri blinked, playing with her fingers. "Really? Eight hours?"

"So, what's going on with you lately?" Way to ask her "sincerely" and "sympathetically" what was bothering her! Sasuke mentally scolded himself, but he managed to keep his cool.

The Nakahara girl shook her head. "Nothing."

"You're lying,"

That was quick. "I'm not," she squeaked out. Her voice cracked; she was panicking.

"I came here to find out what was bothering you. Don't make this harder than it has to be."

"See? This is exactly why I don't want to tell you."

She was right. Sasuke was being a little too harsh about this whole thing. He took a deep breath and bowed his head down slightly. "Sorry. I tend to overreact about certain things."

Sayuri accidentally let out a huff, but she nodded.

Sasuke reluctantly took a step forward, but didn't even bother sitting down on the bed. "So, what's bothering you?"

"Fate and its crappy ways," she complained. "It's just... something that suddenly came up out of nowhere is all."

"A loss?"

"It's personal."

Sasuke didn't know how to respond to that. He couldn't even tell if this was all a lie or not. He wanted to know what was bothering her so much. But if it was personal, he has to respect it.

It doesn't mean he'll just leave without an answer.

"You don't have to tell me," he states in a monotone. "I respect your decision." Something told him that what he said was a flat out lie. He was yearning to find out.

Sayuri believed it and smiled. "Thanks for understanding. And for trying to help. But, I need to be alone for now."

He didn't know if her wish would be fulfilled. He was still determined to find out. And now, Sasuke has to find out the hard way.