NiJyuu-Ni ~ The nerve

22- The nerve

- - - - - -

I stared out of the window, watching the streetlights around the neighborhood turn on one by one as the sky darkened. I could barely see the sun anymore, though, the sky was a faint orange. On just this moment, I realized how interesting it was to watch Konoha's buildings illuminate as the sun went down. It was beautiful to watch when you were in the right mood.

I wanted to call Mom... just to check on her pregnancy. I was concerned about that at the moment. But I felt as if my voice were going to crack once she asks how I was doing. I didn't want to stress her out by saying Sasuke wounded me. It might be bad for the sake of my little sibling.

I was surprised knowing that Sasuke didn't even knock on my door. Not even once. After that incident, I expected him to be at least a little concerned, but I guess all of that was part of him being drunk. He probably thought I was someone else. Probably a girl he had been liking.

I don't even know who he liked. But, none of my business.

I looked at my cellphone that lied beside me on the bed, debating once again whether I should call my mother or not. Gosh, I don't want her to be concerned! But I can always tell her I'm doing fine, even though I'm far from it at the moment.

Before I could even decide, it started vibrating. It showed my mother's caller I.D.

Well, looks like it has been decided.

I reluctantly picked up my phone and took a deep breath. The phone vibrated for the fourth time, and I knew I had to decide quick. Without realizing it, I had already answered. I blinked, putting the phone to my right ear. "M-Mom?"

"Sayuri," she suddenly replies back. "I thought you wouldn't answer."

I gulped. "Uh, yeah. Sorry about that."

"It's okay, dear," she sighed through the line. "Well, there's something that I need to say to you."

Oh no. It's bad news, isn't it?

"Oh, okay," was my only response.

"Um..." she drifted off, leaving the line in total silence. I furrowed my eyebrows together. I kept waiting for a response while staring out at the window, admiring the lights around Konoha. I was nearly drifting off myself until I heard her mumble something. A faint "I can't do this" rung through my ear as the line was cut off.

I sighed in frustration as I tossed the phone on the other side of the bed. Great. She just confirmed that it was bad news, just by saying that. The nerve she had, calling me and telling me she had something to say, and the whole call ended up leaving me here wondering what I needed to know.

I kept praying that it wasn't bad enough for me to break down into tears.