ShiJyuu-Ni ~ Changed

42- Changed

- - - - - -

Sayuri had her hand over her moth. She ignored the sudden yells and hoots that she had gotten from the students around her. It was weird how they had responded so late about Sasuke kissing her. She bows her head down and drops her hand as she began walking to wherever her feet took her.

It was planned out that way until a voice shouted out at her.

"Sayuri!"

She froze. Sayuri knew that voice all too well. It was her best friend, the most popular and conceited teenage girl in Konoha High, Sakura Haruno.

As Sayuri turned, she noticed the girl's expression as she walked toward her. Sakura looked calmer than ever. No veins were popping from the side of her head, her fists weren't clenched, she had no expression on her face. Sayuri was surprised at this. Shouldn't she be raging mad right now?

The pink-haired girl halted to a stop as she stood before her friend; Sakura looked straight into Sayuri's eyes, and Sayuri did the same to her. She realized that her physical reaction was all an act. All a lie. Inside, she looked furious. Her eyes told her everything. She looked like she was ready to kill.

"Sayuri," She shook upon hearing Sakura's deceiving voice call her first name. Sayuri takes a second glance through her eyes. Her mood had suddenly changed. Her anger had been replaced with... sadness. "Do you like Sasuke?"

Sakura's voice cracked. It sounded like she was on the verge of crying. Sayuri gulped; now she was unsure of what to respond with. "Why are you asking me if I like him? He was the one who kissed me first!"

"But you kissed him back."

Well, I'll be damned, she thought.

"Be honest." Sakura's eyebrows rose. Her eyes were practically piercing through Sayuri's eyes as they were trying to make her crack at any moment. "Do you like him? As in... love-wise?"

This was a question with two answers. Each led to a different future. One answer will most likely cost Sayuri her friendship with Sakura. Of course she would be affected by it. They've been best friends since elementary school! Sakura, despite her selfishness and cockiness, was still Sayuri's best friend.

Sayuri felt as if this were a lose-lose situation. If she answered yes, Sakura will be heartbroken and possibly tell her to screw off and never talk to her again. Whereas if she answered no, Sakura will shout, "Liar!" She mentally scoffed. Thanks a lot, Sasuke.

"It's only one simple question-"

"I don't even know," Sayuri blankly answers. She heaves a sigh. "He was supposed to be my enemy. I don't even know where we stand anymore."

"People change." Sakura looks away from Sayuri to the ground beneath her.

"Sasuke and I didn't change, Sakura-chan," Sakura looks up at Sayuri, surprised that she called her by her nickname as they're going through a situation like this: a situation that puts their friendship on the line. Sayuri had a blank look on her face, though her next sentence said so much.

"Only our feelings changed."

~*~

"Sasuke! Sayuri! You're up."

Everyone in the class had taken their turn answering questions about their partners. Everyone except the two. Sayuri cursed to herself as she stood up from the grass. On her way over to her sensei, someone had snuck into her mind. It instantly worried her. Kiba.

She looks around the field as she walks. It took her only a few seconds until she finally spotted the top of his head. It was only then had she realized... he was staring at her.

As soon as their eyes met, Kiba immediately looked away.

He saw everything. Sayuri felt her heart drop. It pained her to see Kiba in pain because he had seen someone he despised so much steal a kiss from his long-time crush. A surge of guilt had struck her. He must have been hurt a lot more when she kissed Sasuke back.

She looks away from him with a frown.

It didn't take too long until she finally reached Kakashi, and at that moment she noticed Sasuke was standing beside her. She didn't even bother taking a glance at the Uchiha, nor her own sensei. Her eyes were staring off into space.

Kakashi starts off with an obviously fake chuckle. "Don't think I didn't see what you did, Sasuke."

"Everyone saw what happened. I know you did, too," the Uchiha retorted.

"You've really made quite a scene there," Kakashi was smiling through his mask as he held the clipboard and pen in his hand. "Enough with the funny business. We need to get going."

From the corner of her eyes, she could see clearly that Sasuke was staring at her. She averted from his eyes, taking a deep breath as Kakashi looked up at the two. "So, what have you learned about your partner?"

"Sasuke never cooks unless it's a special occasion."

Well that was fast.

Sasuke gave Sayuri a stunned look. He was surprised that she still remembered about that morning. Though, she doesn't even bother making eye contact with anyone, he could tell she still has more to say.

"I'm assuming it's true, then?" Kakashi nods, writing something down before he turns his head to Sasuke. "What about you? What do you know?"

"She loves to read."

"What type of book?"

"Science fiction."

Their sensei blinks, surprised of how much they know about each other. He coughed. "Alright, Sayuri..."

Basically, the whole quiz had questions about what the person's partner liked or disliked. It wasn't as challenging to Sayuri nor Sasuke. In fact, it was pretty easy to them.

After Kakashi finishes writing down the results, he looks up at them both. Sayuri could see it all in his eyes. Stunned, shocked, impressed. Kakashi blinks. "You both have the highest quiz score. I'm really surprised."

Sayuri forgot all about what happened earlier after hearing this. She looks at Sasuke from the corner of her eyes and gave him a small smile, which he obviously smirked in response.

"I guess you two really changed your ways. That's progress right there."

Maybe, just maybe, these last seven days won't be as tough.