Chapter 54: The Day Before The Wedding

My mother came home early today and my parents convinced me to spend a day with Markus.

It's just weird as I have read about this belief that you never see each other if your wedding is tomorrow.

But they insisted on a pre-honeymoon.

Whenever Mom and Dad get to introduce us both ni Markus ay gulong-gulo sila kasi sabi nila we're already expecting a baby before and that kasal na daw kami through Civil. But my parents always end up saying, that was just a false pregnancy and the civil thing is real but had to gradually have the wedding sa church naman this time.

I don't know what happened before. But looking at Markus. It feels fun.

Pre-honeymoon it is and we're having lots of fun. We go to the nearest resort in town. It's like Markus doesn't wanna be here. He doesn't laugh and he is cold. Like he has been thinking a lot.

At lunch, nauna ako sa reserved restaurant. Pero I feel bad for leaving Markus behind sa hotel kaya bumalik ako. And when I did, I overheard a conversation of him and his uncle sa phone.

"Uncle, I don't want to do this anymore. With all due respect, I did this first hand because I swear I know how badly you wanted this partnership with the hospital and the company. I am done with going along with this plan of that filthy Conte. This isn't gonna work. You are all sabotaging her mind and taking advantage of her memory loss. Villas is not my fucking fiancé for fuck sake!" He shouted at his phone for that. He talked fast and I was just from afar.

What did he say?

Nakita kong napalingon si Markus sa kinaroroonan ko. Kaagad siyang napalakad papunta sa akin.

"I'm sorry I didn't get to knock—"

He suddenly hugs me.

"I'm so sorry." He said. "I'm so sorry, Villas."

He calls me Villas very often now.

"What's wrong? Why were shouting? We're both late for lunch." I said.

He nodded, but he suddenly cupped face. Took my hand and stared at our engagement rings.

"I know. It's weird how they told us we are civically married and we just always wore our engagement ring. Right?" I said when he goes silent for awhile.

I pulled his hand and pulled him again for a long walk. We arrived at the lunch area and he was spaced out.

After the dessert, I knew I needed to speak.

"Markus."

He looked at me.

Like he is in pain. And I don't understand why.

"I love you." I said. And I saw it in his eyes that he was about to cry. Are those happy tears? 'Cause there's nothing else matter right now. But just this. Me and him. Soon to unite.

The lunch ended and we decided not to stay for dinner. We had to go home immediately kasi andun si Mama. Pag-uwi naman namin we saw her lying by the bed deep in sleep. Dad asked Markus to be ready for the wedding tomorrow. Markus left. Dad also left for work. And now, I stayed by my Mom's side.

I held her hand.

Which 'cause her to wake up.

Slowly. Slowly.

As soon as she awakens, she cried.

"Ve...." she called me. "Ve, there is something that I have been meaning to tell you—"

There were guilt and pain in her eyes.

I can see it.

I can feel it.

"Mom, come on. You need to be strong. My wedding day is tomorrow. I want you to be there when that happens." Sabi ko sa kanya. Her tears flowed even more.

Her grip over my hands were getting tighter.

"Anak, Ve, pakinggan mo ako.." She raised her voice this time. "I've been selfish. I have been a horrible mother to you. I always lie to you and I have been lying to you. There are no words that can explain how much I really love you, Ve. But I thought I was doing what was right. I am so so sorry for everything." Mama cried.

"Ma, ano bang pinagsasabi mo?"

"I love you, Ve. Patawarin mo ako, anak."

Mama passed out kaya sumigaw ako.

"Pa!!!" That the first my I ever shouted that loud. Markus came and Dad came too.

Dad tried to talk to Mom. But they had to bring her sa hospital. I followed them but when we arrived sa hospital.

She passed away.
Just like that.