Chapter 20: Whatever it takes, by any means necessary.

"It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known." - Charles Dickens.

Merula paced around the Artefact Room, just thinking of the kinds of things that Slayton would do to Penny. But it wouldn't be horrible. Trotsky would be civil. "Yeah... Slayton was probably all show and don't act." She thought. But there was another part of Merula that said, that it had to be done. "And... Ethan was warned over and over again, not to interfere, and look what happened. This was all his fault." She also said.

And speaking of the Devil. Ethan burst through the doors of the Artefact Room. Literally. And he had the look that was a wild as Buckbeak when some unlucky person plucked out one of his feathers. "Where is she?" 

Merula could see the fire that grew in Ethan's eyes. "Ethan... let's not be-"

"WHERE IS SHE?!" Ethan thrust Merula into one of the shelves. "I know you had a hand in this. And unless you want me to sever YOUR hands off your body, you'll tell me where Slayton took Penny, NOW!" He growled.

"Ethan... I didn't know that Slayton would kidnap Penny. I only learned about Slayton a few days ago when the Wampus Cat..." Merula quickly and carefully tried to explain. 

"Tim." Ethan corrected coldly. "His name is Tim." 

"Okay... Tim." Merula continued. "Trotsky told me about some new thing that was being brought to me, that I supposed to release inside of Hogsmeade. What I did not know, was that it would be a Wampus Cat. And I certainly didn't know that the cage was tampered with already. Ismelda just happened to be walking around the corner when the Wampus ran loose. And above all, I didn't know that Trotsky had injected Tim with that Red Dust by Slayton guy." 

"Well Slayton is going to wish he was dead." Ethan growled.

"I wouldn't waste my breath. Slayton's new on the scene. Some American Wizard that Trotsky hired. My guess is power hungry tyrant. He said Trotsky's paying good money. So my guess is that Penny is with Trotsky." Merula added.

That didn't sound good at all to Ethan. He looked at Merula in a new fury. "So she's in the hands of a guy who's going to launch a Genocide of the Muggles? That's supposed to make me feel better?!" 

"Trotsky won't hurt Penny. You have to take my word at it." Merula reassured.

"Your word means nothing." Ethan shot back. "For all I know, you knew that Rowan would die too, Last Year!" And Merula could swear that Ethan's wand started to glow as if it was ready to explode in a fury. Which was never a good sign. "How could you still side with that Bastard after all of that?!"

But that struck a feeling of sadness for Merula. "No one was supposed to die that night. That was all Rakepick." She croaked out. "She went against orders." And Merula had to be really careful with what she said to Ethan. She wanted so bad to say that Ben also had a hand in it by letting his ego get the better of him and challenging Rakepick. Maybe if Ben didn't do that, Rowan would still be alive. But, that would've just given Ethan a hands on excuse to kill her on the spot.

"And what orders were those?" Ethan asked.

"You were to be brought to Trotsky, and you would join us." Merula answered.

"Sounds more like you wanted to brainwash me so I would do your bidding." Ethan shot back.

"Not brainwash, explain... enlighten." Merula corrected. "He could've been like a father to you." 

Ethan shook his head. "I already have a father. Even if he is gone." He replied angrily. "And you better tell Trotsky that I'm coming for him! And I'm going to get my Girlfriend back." He demanded.