Chapter 49: Preventing the Spread.

"Coming together is a beginning; keeping together is progress; working together is success." -Edward Everett Hale.

Ethan was running over with Chiara to where his brother was. "Come on. They're this way!" Chiara yelled as Madam Strout was following them. And Ethan could see Jacob, Lizzie, and Ryder coming towards them.

"Ethan!" Jacob yelled over.

"Jacob." Ethan breathed in relief. "I was worried that you were the one in a Hospital Bed." 

"Eh, been there done that." Jacob replied as he showed his metal hand.

"I'm sorry, Ethan. I came and got you as soon as I found out Jacob was here." Chiara said.

"You did a good job, Miss Lobosca." Ryder informed. "Frigger over there is stable for now, But..."

"He's received emergency treatment, but the work of a Healer is never done." Madam Strout finished as she worked to diagnose the wounds. "Since you're here to learn, it's time for your next lesson in healing... how to diagnose a patient." And that was when Penny, Jae, and Talbott walked over. "Ah, perfect timing."

"Perfect timing?" Ryder asked.

"Gather around, lambs. We'll be observing this mans wounds and determining their cause." Strout explained.

"We don't have time for a lecture. We know what this was. He was beaten up with spiked clubs. Slayton saw to it. Right after he most likely dealt with his Red Dust." Ryder interrupted.

"So he just beats up guys for no reason? He's worse than Rakepick." Penny asked..

"No. You'd have to mess up big time for Slayton to give this order." Ryder answered. "Say... owe him money or something." 

"But look here. These weren't regular spikes." Strout pointed out. She could see the wounds. "Chinese Fireballs." She realized.

"What?" Ethan asked.

"The spikes on those clubs were Chinese Fireball spikes." Strout answered.

"Great. And now Slayton has Fireball spikes on his clubs." Lizzie sarcastically said.

"And Derek has messed up big time." Ryder realized.

"How do you mean?" Strout asked.

"Madam Strout, I want you to oversee this mans wounds personally. If we can wake him and get him back to full strength. It might be the key we need to taking down Slayton. And possibly lead us to Trotsky himself." Ryder explained.

"You mean his base of operations?" Chiara asked.

"Exactly. And Miss. Lobosca. I want you on this as well." Ryder added. 

"Me?" Chiara asked.

"Jacob here told me that you were a remarkable healer when it came to patching up Ethan. You can handle this just as well." Ryder answered.

"Well... okay." Chiara decided.

"Good." Ryder turned to the Aurors. "I want Aurors guarding this room day and night for security. In the meantime, I want continuous updates about the patient. We're not letting another slip up happen." He ordered.

"Yes, Agent Ryder." The Aurors understood.

"And what should we do?" Penny asked.

"Miss. Haywood. I want you back in the Potions Room. Miss. Maxson will assist. See if there are any potions that can help with the healing process. The faster we get this guy up to full strength. The sooner we can grab Slayton." Ryder answered.