Chapter 41: Survivor's Guilt.

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." -Frederick Douglass.

April 25th. 1973. England.

The 5 year old Jacob was sitting on a chair in the Living Room of their house. He was playing with what looked like a toy broom. His father and mother were watching him play. Until Daniel got back his son's attention.

"Now, Jacob. We have something very important to tell you." Daniel started. "You see, we are going to have another baby, soon."

"Where is it?" Jacob asked.

"It's in Mommy's stomach." Caroline answered pointing  her round stomach.

Jacob looked confused. "Why did you eat it? Did you get hungry again?" He asked in all innocence.

Caroline smiled at her son. "No. Mommy didn't eat it." 

"Why doesn't the baby come out?" Jacob asked.

"Because it's not time." Daniel answered. "Babies just like to sleep and be patient." He then got back to the conversation. "But when he does come. Your Mom and I are going to be spending a lot of time taking care of either him." The Healers had already told both Daniel and Caroline that Caroline was going to have another boy. 

"But it doesn't mean that we love you any less than we will your new brother." Caroline added. "And you'll also have a responsibility as a big brother."

"What responty?" Jacob asked confused not quite sure how to pronounce that word.

"Responsibility." Daniel corrected. "Jacob, your little brother is going to be looking up to you. But most important of all. You have to protect him from harm. Can you do that?" He asked.

Jacob nodded.

July 4th 1973.

Caroline had been in Labor for about an hour. Jacob was waiting out in the lobby. He got scared whenever his mother screamed out in pain. Which was what she was doing. Jacob had just sat silently in a chair. He was quite bored waiting in St. Mungo's and they were very strict in how they handled business and affairs in their ward. 

That was when Daniel walked out with a full grin on his face. "Jacob." He called. Jacob stood up. "There's someone in here, I want you to meet. Come on."

Jacob walked in, and could see his mother holding a baby wrapped in a blanket.

Caroline saw Jacob walk in. "Jacob. Meet your little brother." 

Jacob held Daniel's hand as they walked to the bed. And Jacob could get a better look at his brother. They both had the same hair color. Jacob held up a smile at the sight of the baby.

The Baby opened his eyes and was looking right at Jacob. The baby started laughing at the sight of Jacob. 

"Why is he laughing?" Jacob asked.

"He likes you." Caroline answered calmly. "Do you want to hold him?"

Jacob nodded as he held his brother in his arms. The Baby started laughing even more. "Does he have a name?" He asked.

Daniel and Caroline looked at each other. "I had a thought. That we give him a strong name. I was told by a Seer when I was 16 that our children would have to be filled with enduring strength. I think it only fitting we name him... Ethan." Caroline answered.

"Ethan?" Jacob asked.

The Baby reached out for Jacob's nose, possibly to grab it.   

"Ethan it is." Daniel declared. "No take backs."