Chapter 37: Old Wounds that never heal.

"A Warrior is worthless until he rises above others and stands strong in the midst of a storm." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo.

"So... Mahoutokoro takes in it's students at the age of 7?" Ethan asked.  

"They stay with their parents until they turn 11." Akira answered. "Takumi is a unique case. He can only learn verbally and with specific instructions because of his blindness. However, not only am I teaching Takumi the ways of Magic. But I am also teaching him forms of Bojutsu. That means teaching him forms of the Bo Staff."

To prove Akira's point. Takumi pulled out his Bo Staff off of his back. Not only did it work as a Walking Stick. But it also was a useful defensive weapon.

"Jeez. To think that we would've gone to school together if we were in Japan." Ethan said to Jacob.

"We would've if I hadn't gotten expelled." Jacob replied.

"If you had, then your robes would've turned white." Takumi interrupted.

"Turned White?" Ben asked. "You mean just like that Ryo guy?"

"Yes." Akira answered. "I had informed Takumi of this. When you attend Mahoutokoro, you are given a set of robes. The robes grow in size as the student does. It starts off as a faint pink and changes colors depending on the progress that the student has made. Gold if Top Marks are achieved." He explained.

"You mean like your robes?" Lizzie asked referring to the golden robes that Akira had on. And to which Akira nodded his head.

"And what exactly happens when your robes turn white? Other than it turning white?" Ben asked.

"Ah, then you would be expelled and stand trial by the Japanese Ministry of Magic." Akira answered. "That or you would be shamed by your family, and disgraced."

"Well that second option doesn't sound so bad." Ben commented. With everyone looking at him. "What?"

"Ben. I think the second is actually worse." Ethan replied. It was one thing to be expelled. But to be shamed and disgraced by your family was a worse fate. Jacob was just expelled and he turned out fine.

"You weren't disgraced by your Mum, were you?" Lizzie asked.

"I should've been." Jacob answered. "It was a rough time. We lost Dad, and Mum was under a tremendous amount of stress. After I got home. Mum didn't say a word. She just went upstairs and cried." He admitted. 

Ethan sighed. He remembered that being the second worst day of his life. The first being when his father died. "I suppose I don't need to tell you that Mum cried even more when you ran away." 

"Well that makes me feel better." Jacob sarcastically replied. But then he got serious. "Ethan, I shouldn't have left you and Mum. I know that now. Maybe if I hadn't left, we wouldn't be in this situation now."

"Well, we're here in this situation now." Lizzie interrupted. "But you're here with us. Stop trying to worry about what what you didn't do in the past, and focus on the here and now." She insisted.

Jacob nodded. And he could see that Akira also agreed.

The group continued to walk to the forest of Mount Fuji. And Ethan continued to talk about the Japanese Wizarding School with Akira.  

"So, shouldn't Takumi be in school right now?" He asked.

"Not this year." Akira answered. "With everything that had happened recently. I wanted to ensure that my son was in safe hands. My hands. So I have taken to teaching him myself. The Ministry and the School approved, so here we are."