Chapter 30: One Problem Solved. New Problem Begins.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -H. L. Mencken.

One letter out of an Owl. And Ethan could tell that Mad Eye wanted to speak to him. And Ethan knew what that reason was. So he went to talk to Mad Eye. But not before he sent a letter to Tulip and told her how it went with Umbridge. Why Mad Eye didn't want to talk to Ben, Ethan would never know.

And Mad Eye was indeed waiting for Ethan back at the Magical Catastrophes Office. 

"Hello, Mad-Eye! You wanted to see me about the Zenith Xeep case?" Ethan asked.

"Aye, that's right. It's time to debrief." Mad Eye answered.

"Shouldn't Ben be here, then?" Ethan asked. "You assigned both of us to the case... Even if Ben is as reckless as a Niffler in a jewelry store." He muttered that last part to himself.

But Mad Eye cut him off. "I've already talked to Mr. Copper." He answered. "Right now I want to know if it's possible that encounter you had with Slayton is making you go deaf. Why else would you disobey a direct order?"

"Oops." Ethan thought to himself.

"I explicitly told you to not pursue this case further until you consulted with me." Mad Eye reminded.

"Sorry, Mad-Eye. Ben was determined to go with or without me. I couldn't let him get hurt when I knew I could help. You know what he's like when he's reckless." Ethan justified. He knew what happened when Ben got reckless.

Mad Eye nodded understanding Ethan's decision.

"I just have one question for you." Mad Eye said.

Ethan swallowed hard. But Mad Eye had a smile. "What was the look on Umbitch's face when that Dungbomb rang out?" He asked.

Ethan laughed. "Oh, my god! You should've seen it!"

"I wish I had a recording of it." Ryder interrupted walking over and laughing.

"Did Umbitch tell you about it?" Ethan asked.

"She complained." Ryder answered. "I told her I would put it in my to do pile. My To Do Pile of throwing out the trash."

And all 3 laughed.

"Now, I want you to fill me in on what happened when you confronted Zenith Xeep." Ryder requested getting back to business.

"Mr. Copper says he was knocked unconscious and, when he came to, everything was over." Mad Eye noted. 

Ethan nodded. "Slayton showed up at Knockturn Alley and met Madam Xeep. And I'm pretty sure there was someone else there."

"Slayton." Ryder grumbled. "That dealer is really starting to get on my nerves."

"Well, that isn't the half of it. Rumor has it that the Metamorphmagus is at it again. Might be impersonating Twycross himself." Mad Eye added. "But rest assured that we've been dealing with the real Twycross." 

"But how do you know?" Ethan asked.

"Ever since that Metamorphmagus got into the Ministry, I've been keeping a close eye on key figures." Mad Eye answered. "And anyone who interacts with you, especially since Trotsky is so interested in you."

"Hold on a second. You said there was another Dark Witch?" Ryder asked. 

"Yeah. It could be that she's a high-ranking member of 'R'." Ethan predicted. "I got the impression that Madam Xeep was afraid of her. We locked eyes for just a moment, but... I felt like I was going to melt under her stare." He added.