chapter sixty-three

August 31st - Potter Estate

When Sirius woke up that morning, the realization of what day it was hit him immediately and he fell straight back into bed.

He didn't want to go to the Ball, not in the slightest bit. He ran away from that life for a reason, and the raven-haired boy dreaded the fact that he'd have to immerse himself back into that world, if only for a single night.

However, according to Monty and Mia, it was important that Nephera were to attend. With the amount of Death Eaters attending that evening, Sirius didn't want to leave her alone, despite knowing that she could do a much better job at protecting herself than he could.

The threat of Voldemort's plan still loomed over their heads, and Sirius hated it. The most infuriating part of all, was not knowing when Voldemort would actually strike. If it were up to him, he'd lock the girl inside a room and throw away the key until the war was over, but alas, Nephera refused to back down or go into hiding.

That was the thought that eventually managed to get him out of bed that morning, and he groaned as he sat up, stretched his back, and made his way into the bathroom.

It was close to midday, which meant that the Potters and Lily would most certainly be up, yet the Slytherin would still be sleeping. Despite the fact that she was a very light sleeper, the brunette could, and probably would, sleep all day if no one woke her up.

His suspicions were proved correct when he descended the stairs and found her sleeping on the couch, the rest of the family sitting outside, chatting quietly amongst themselves.

She had been staying with them for the past four days, but would be returning back to her apartment that night after the Ball, only to meet them tomorrow at King's Cross.

The boy still hadn't grasped the fact that they would be starting their seventh year of Hogwarts, it seemed like yesterday that he was introducing himself to James on the train.

A lot of things had changed since that introduction. He had been sorted into Gryffindor, he had found a true family, he had run away from home and from his parents, and perhaps the most shocking of them all, he found himself caring for Nephera bloody Winchester.

"Ah, the sleeping beauty arises," teased James when Sirius walked outside, "Have some bloody coffee before you snap on us all,"

The raven-haired boy muttered something under his breath, but accepted the ug nonetheless, sipping happily the bitter-tasting liquid it contained.

"Is Nephera still asleep?" asked Lily

"She is, surprisingly," answered Mia, "I suggested waking her up but-"

Sirius snorted, "Yes, I'd advise against that unless any of you fancy getting flung onto a wall,"

"That's what James said," agreed Fleamont,

Euphemia stood up, "Well, since you haven't taken a seat yet, Sirius, come help me in the kitchen,"

The Gryffindor was stupid, Euphemia had wanted to talk to him about the fact that he'd be seeing Walburga and Orion again ever since it was announced that they were going to the Ball, but the boy had been expertly avoiding her.

He didn't have that choice now, however, so he did as he was told and followed after the older witch. The second they entered the kitchen, she placed a silencing charm around the room so as to not wake up the girl sleeping inside and motioned for him to sit down.

"Sirius," breathed the witch, "About tonight, I just wanted to remind you once more that you don't need to be there,"

"I know, Mia, but I told you, I'm fine," he insisted, but then continued when she sent him a pointed glare, showing that she didn't believe him, "Alright, sure, they'll be there, and sure, I'd rather not see them, but it's like Nephera said, they won't try anything in front of the bloody Minister of Magic,"