chapter seventy-four

October 25th - Slytherin Dorms 

Nephera was very happy to return to her dorm, even though she could hardly stand her roommates and she'd have to endure Lestrange's presence. She wasn't stupid, she knew Riddle had most certainly sent out an order to kill her, but then again, did he really think that she couldn't handle a couple of hormonal teenagers. 

The Slytherin dorms were exactly as she had remembered them, dark, gloomy, and cold. It felt nice being back after so long, and she couldn't wait to start classes. One thing she did mind, however, was that she had gotten too used to Sirius being there every single night, and she wasn't sure she wanted to go back to sleeping alone. 

The second she walked in through the entrance, she was immediately hounded by what Marlene had affectionately nicknamed 'The Death Squad'. 

"Winchest-" yelled Mulciber, but he wasn't exactly given a chance to finish whatever petty threat he had in mind before Nephera flicked her wand and sent him flying back 

Saying nothing else, for she knew it would be unnecessary, she made her way to her dorm, ready to reclaim her bed which had hopefully been scrubbed clean of any trace of the impostor that was sleeping there before. 

Her two roommates were already there, unfortunately, and were staring at her as though she had insulted their entire families just by walking into the room. 

"Can I help you?" asked Nephera, raising an eyebrow 

Greengrass scoffed, getting up from her bed, "I'm going over to the boy's dorms, I'd rather be with them than a bloody murderer. You'll come with me too if you know what's good for you Emily," 

"Oh yeah because Mulciber and Avery are pinnacles of morality," rolled her eyes the brunette, "But do leave me alone, I'd rather not have you around, you tend to suck all energy out of the room," 

It was late at night when the two girls came back to the dorm, and they thankfully fell asleep without saying another word to Nephera. 

The brunette was tired, and her bed was as comfortable as ever, but for some reason, she couldn't find it in herself to relax enough to fall asleep. Waving her wand, she summoned the book Sirius had gifted her last year for her birthday. 

The familiar story and handwriting made her smile as she closed the curtains around her bed and lit up her wand to read. 

Soon enough, however, she finished the book, and then read it once more. Closing it with a huff, she cursed the fact that the story no longer helped her fall asleep like it used to. Putting aside her pride, she slipped on a pair of shoes and grabbed her wand, intending to sneak up to Gryffindor tower. 

Walking into the common room, though, she saw Regulus Black sitting on one of the armchairs, reading a book, as well as a few second years playing chess in the corner. Confunding the kids from behind so that they'd go back to their dorms without seeing her, she walked up to him and sat on the armchair next to him. 

"Wrong brother," he mused 

"I know," she replied, "I have a proposition for you," 

"And I have a kill order for you. I think you're smart enough to know that you shouldn't be in a room with Death Eaters alone," he huffed, closing the book

"I'm smart enough to know that you haven't tried to kill me yet, which could mean one of two things: either you want to listen to what I have to say, or you never wanted the mark in the first place," she observed his reaction closely, the tick of his jaw, the way his fingers kept drumming on the arm of the chair, "And judging by your reaction, it's both,"