chapter eighty-nine

January 2nd - Undiscolsed Location 

Regulus Black had just sat through yet another Death Eater meeting, trying to divulge as much information as possible about what Voldemort was planning. This feat was easier said than done, Tom Riddle was a smart man, he kept information on a need to know basis, making it very hard to extract such things. 

The young Slytherin also had no luck in trying to find out what it was that he wanted with the artefacts from the Hogwarts founders, Helga's cup and Ravenclaw's diadem were never mentioned once, a fact that only intrigued the boy further. 

Then, there was the issue of Nott's task. He would be given something to hide at Hogwarts, something he was forbidden from talking about, even to his friends. 

Regulus could sense that something big was brewing in the shadows, something none of them were prepared for. So, when Riddle instricted all the Death Eaters to leave, but Nott, he remained behind, lingering in the corridor outside the room, hoping to hear something. 

The words were muffled, a silencing charm was placed but with some effort from the boy's part he had managed to half-break through it, allowing him to catch broken phrases. 

'It needs to be well hidden,' 

'No one can know about this,' 

'Utter secrecy,' 

'Beware of Dumbledore and Winchester,' 

Suddenly, the door yanked open, sending Regulus staggering back a few steps, and his blood ran cold when he realized that they had caught him eveasdropping. 

"Leave us, Nott," ordered the Dark wizard 

The other teenager shuffled out of the room, making brief eye contact with his friend, silently asking him what he was doing. Regulus only shook his head in response, tensing when he heard the doors close behind him. 

It was now Regulus and Voldemort, locked in a room, together. 

"My Lord," said the boy, strengthening his occlumency, "My apologies, I merely wanted to-" 

"Spy?" asked the older wizard, raising an eyebrow, "Why won't you let me into your mind, Regulus? Unless you are hiding something from me, of course," 

"No, My Lord, I would never," replied the boy, "I merely wanted to learn more, I feel like I could be of more use to you," 

"We'll see," 

The youngest Black knew what must be done, he had to let Voldemort in, for it would look too suspicious if he didn't. Breaking the walls around his mind, only enough to display certain memories, enough to trick him. 

He felt Riddle shiffle through them. 

Him arguing with Sirius. 

Him hexing muggleborns. 

Him discussing their orders with the other Death Eaters, plotting to kill Nephera. 

Voldemort lowered his wand, seemingly pleased with what he saw and assured that Regulus's alliances hadn't changed. 

Nephera was right, thought the boy, it did feel nice to deceive him. 

"So," he spoke, "You wanted to play a bigger role? To know more, to help in our efforts to cleanse the wizarding world?" 

"Yes, my Lord. I want to honor my parents, my lineage, I want to be of use," 

Tom hummed, "I'm sure that can be arranged. Tell me, what did you hear?"