chapter ninety-one

January 6th - Azkaban 

The wizarding prison lived up to its' reputation, thought Nephera. On top a deserted island, tall and daunting, built from cement, there truly was no way to escape. Nephera knew, however, that there was no need for walls when you had Dementors floating around everywhere. A cell could be broken out of easily, but if someone became trapped in their own mind, that was harder to escape from. 

Fabian Prewett was leading the group of three, and Nephera could tell that he was tense, honestly, so was she. Dementors were soaring all around them, trying to see if they were guilty enough to suck their souls, but left after a few seconds. 

It was cold, colder even than a regular January morning, and the girl found herself unconsciously shifting closer to Sirius for both warmth and safety. 

She wondered in what state her father would be in. As they were passing the cells, she saw many types of prisoners. Some, those that hadn't been there that long, were rocking back and forth in their cells, muttering different things under their breath. The ones that had been there longest appeared completely impassive, curled up in a ball on one of the corners of their cell and staring with wide and unfocused eyes. 

Sirius and Fabian were worried as well. Nephera appeared as impassive as ever, but by that point, that was to be expected. Her father was two floors up from the one they were currently at, but more so than that, he was in a cell right next to her mother, and Avery Sr, neither of which would be very happy to see her. 

They couldn't do anything, of course, since they had no wands, but the girl had inherited her talent for wandless magic from her father, so it was still possible that he could harm her. 

"Are you alright?" whispered Sirius in her ear, rubbing a hand up and down her back 

Nephera nodded, "Let's just get this over with as quickly as possible," 

"We will, don't worry," replied Fabian, holding a door open for the younger pair, "They're just through there, we have a separate ward for Death Eaters,"  

This part of the prison was even more dark than the rest, if that was even possible. Probably because the people there carried the more guilt, and so dementors were swooping around constantly outside, trying to find their next meal. 

Passing by the cell of Avery Sr., the man saw Nephera and catapulted himself to the bars, his hands reaching out from between them, trying to grab ahold of her, "Come here you blood traitor!" he yelled, Sirius and Fabian immediately pushing her behind them, "I'm in here because of you!" 

They walked past him, but the shouting had alerted her mother and father about who was coming,  and they too had stood up and walked to stand behind the bars. 

The Slytherin drew in a breath at the sight of her mother. Long gone were the expensive dresses jewelry and styled-to-prefection hair, now, she looked more like a ghost than anything else. Pale skin, dirty and matted hair and a torn prisoners uniform. 

One thing, noticed Nephera, that remained, was her stance. Emmeline Winchester was still standing tall, with her shoulders back and her chin raised, even after being there from a little less than six months. 

Nephera shuddered slightly at the image. It reminded her too much of herself, when she was taken honstage by Riddle. Just like her mother she too may have lost her physical appearance, but she never cowered, she never slouched. The girl supposed that years of training couldn't be forgotten easily. 

"Mother," greeted the girl, eyeing the older woman up and down 

"Nephera," said her mother 

Sirius was tenser than he'd ever been before in his life. He was constantly on edge, his flight or fight reflex taking over as he gripped don't his wand tightly while also preparing himself to throw his witch over his shoulder and run out of there.