chapter one hundred and six

April 3rd - Dumbledore's office

Remus Lupin had never quite liked the way Dumbledore's office looked. There was too much clutter around, too many objects that seemed harmless but in reality, no one knew what they were capable of. Fawkes was another thing that deeply unsettled the werewolf, for the phoenix kept staring at him whenever he was in that room.

The Headmaster's presence was also something worth mentioning, for Remus had always hated the way the old wizard kept looking at him through his half-moon spectacles like he knew more than he let on.

"What can I help you with, Professor?" he asked, willing his tone to be as polite as possible

Remus Lupin's relationship with the headmaster was more complex than that of the rest of the marauders. The old wizard had given him a chance when no one else would by admitting him into Hogwarts, and the young werewolf would be forever grateful for that.

However, that didn't mean that he trusted him, especially after what had happened during Christmas. Nephera was family to Remus, and the fact that the wizard standing in front of him had tried to get her thrown into Azkaban of all places was something he couldn't quite forgive nor forget.

"Usually, I would not be involving you into Order business, Mr. Lupin, given the fact that you are too young and you have yet to graduate," stated Dumbledore, "But I am afraid I have a task only you can help me with,"

Intrigued, Remus leaned forward, motioning for the old wizard to continue.

Dumbledore wasn't an idiot, he knew that once Nephera caught wind of what he was about to ask of Remus, and there was no doubt that she would, she wouldn't be happy.

However, he also knew that the girl was a logical person. She knew that her friends had joined the Order, and she knew that this meant that they'd be risking their lives, so he continued.

"As I'm sure you're aware, Voldemort has been recruiting werewolves for his cause, one of them being Fenrir Greyback and his pack,"

Remus tensed at the mention of the name of the person who bit him, "Yes, what does this have to do with me?"

Dumbledore sat down behind his desk, "I'm assuming Ms. Winchester has already informed you of what she'll be doing during Easter?" he asked, and the boy nodded, "Well, you will be doing something similar to that, only instead of Fae, you'll be dealing with werewolves,"

He paused for a second, trying to gauge the youngest boy's reaction. To his disappointment, though, the young werewolf's expression was completely unreadable.

"There are some werewolf packs that are still on the fence about who they should support, your job will be to go there and convince them, at the very least, to not join Voldemort. If you can, convince them to join the Order,"

Remus looked at the headmaster up and down, "Who will be going with me?"

"No one," replied Dumbledore, "Unfortunately, the prejudice that exists in the wizarding world against werewolves has led them to be distrustful of wizards. If somebody else accompanies you, I'm afraid the situation could turn south very quickly."

The younger wizard in the room sat up and paced up and down a few times. He wanted to help, he wanted to feel useful and to make a difference, the thought of a mission for his blood pumping like nothing else. But, he also knew how other werewolves that were in packs lived.

While the lone wolves were typically integrated into the wizarding world, just like he was, the packs lived quite differently. Deep in caves in the woods, they hunted and killed to eat, or sometimes stole from nearby villages.