17

you followed right after him, paimon and aether were a bit further into the cave, probably to keep aether from freezing to death right there.

walking next to diluc, you saw paimon frantically flying around in search of something, you narrowed your eyes at the scene and started picking up your pace.

something was wrong, you could feel it. now slightly jogging towards paimon you noticed aether still knocked out on the floor.

his brows were furrowed, his breathing was heavy and he had a few sweat drops trailing from his temples to his cheeks.

you kneeled down next to him and laid dilucs coat that was still in your hand besides you. you reached your hand to aether forehead and felt that it was incredibly hot.

diluc finally caught up to you all and spoke up, "paimon, what happened?" he asked in his calm and usual voice, but you could swear there was a hint of concern laced in it.

"paimon doesnt know!" she said hysterically with her hands in the air, she was panicking. diluc looked at her state and sighed, "im sure he will be okay." he reassured paimon.

you tilted your head up to look at paimon and diluc, "yea, im sure too." you started off as you slowly stood up straight again.

now standing up straight, you continued, "he just has a fever, probably because of the sudden temperature changes." you concluded while looking down at aethers sleeping figure. you were certain it wasnt anything bad.

paimon visibly relaxed and diluc seemed surprised that you knew how to make medical conclusions like that, but he didnt question it. besides, the incident from a few minutes ago was still on his mind.

he wasnt sure if he could trust you and you wouldnt blame him for it in all honesty. you shook your head lightly to rid yourself from the unnecessary thoughts and looked straight at paimon.

"it seems we wont be able to move for a while..." you said as you looked from paimon to diluc. the latter agreed with your statement and spoke up as well.

he opened his mouth, "we should camp here." he said while folding his arms in front of his chest. diluc then looked to the side and spoke up once again, "there even is a small campfire here, we wont need to worry about the cold."

paimon got back to her cheerful nature after hearing that aether was going to be all okay, she started bouncing up and down in the air again a little and nodded her head, "paimon is glad that he will be okay! thank you!" she said with a small smile on her features.

you figured it wouldnt be such a waste of time anyways, you could rest while aether was resting his fever away. you walked over to the small campfire and sat in front of it, you placed dilucs wet coat as well next to it so it could dry up.

now sitting down, your legs crossed, you leaned against the icy wall of the cave and stared into the far distance of the cave.

the few ray of lights that could make its way through the cave started dimming slowly, you saw there was less light and concluded that the sun would soon set.

you leaned your head backwards and closed your eyes, about to go to sleep. seconds and minutes passed and you finally were able to drift off to sleep.

right as you were about to sleep, you felt a heavy weight on you lap and heard someone sitting besides you. you figured it must have been diluc and paimon and didnt pay it any attention.

you drifted off to a peaceful sleep, now dreaming you saw a familiar woman standing in front of you. it took you a moment to figure out where you were in the dream and what was happening.

after looking around in the room you finally came to an understanding that it was a memory of yours. the woman paid little to no attention to you and walked straight out of the room.

her long white cape was flowing behind her as she walked, she had introduced herself as signora to you. she was one of the first people you met when you were saved from the abyss.

but she was never really fond of you, that showed as well when she passed you without even batting an eye. you stayed seated on the comfortable couch while looking at her.

since you were just a kid at that time, you were curious about her and stood up as soon as signora was out of your sight, you tip toed to the door that she left out off and glanced around the corner.

you saw she was standing with her back turned at you, she was talking to someone that you never met earlier but they seemed rather friendly with each other.

wondering if they were here often, your thoughts were interrupted as you overheard their conversation. signoras voice was calm but irritated.

"what is y/n doing here." she stated, it was supposed to be a question but came out rather forceful. the person she was talking too didnt answer her, instead, they remained silent.

a few seconds passed and the other person finally spoke up, "who is y/n?" he said, you could make out that it was a male voice now.

signora didnt pay any effort to describing you and spoke up simply in three words, "that survivor girl." she said, but the male remained confused, you couldnt make out their expressions since signora was standing in front of the male.

signora let out a heavy sigh, "the only survivor of your abyss test." she said and you saw her place her hands on her hips, she was getting impatient.

the male seemed to remember now and ler his voice be heard, "oh! number 184!" he said excitedly while smiling slightly. he noticed the silence and spoke up once more, "yea, what about her?" he asked.

"what is she doing here?" signora asked once again with a very irritated tone, it appeared she didnt appreciate your company much.

the male in front of her sighed, "orders from the tsarista, havent you heard?" he asked questioning while tilting his head to the side.

that was when you could faintly make out his hair colour and shape, it was a light blue that almost looked like green and was overall curly.

you saw signora shake her head while simply saying, "no." the male folded his arms in front of his chest and told her about to so called orders of the tsarista.

"y/n is rumored to join the fatui when she is old enough." he stated and cleared his throat, he then continued, "the tsarista sees potential in her."

and with that, you noticed a heavy silence falling over the two. it seemed like signora was not satisfied with his answer and remained silent.

after a while she let out a heavy breath and walked away from the man towards your direction, you saw her turning and silently ran back to your place.

as if nothing happened, you grabbed a book and pretended to read it, signora took a look at you and continued walking to the other door of the room.

it was a vague memory, you didnt know half of what they said but let it slip your mind, paying no attention to it.

the room became a bright white, almost litting up and before you knew it, all furniture disappeared. it was just you standing in a white void, that was when you noticed it was just the sun shining on your eye lids.

and with that, you woke up from your dream, slowly opening your eyes.