33

you remained quiet. "i dont know." you said and shifted your gaze downwards as you continued to walk to the guild of liyue.

unfortunately to you, diluc saw right through your lie like he always did. "we will continue this talk in a more private manner." he said and looked away from you as he saw you two were nearing the adventures guild.

inhaling deeply, you knew it would become more difficult now. you decided to set all those worries aside for a second and get a place to stay at first.

you decreased your walking speed and came to a halt as you faced kathryne of the adventures guild. you didnt even need to speak up as she already beat you to it.

"ad astra abyssoque. welcome to the adventures guild." she started off with, she was identical to the one in mondstadt. they wore the exact same clothing, placed their hands neatly in front of themselves and gave you the same smile.

diluc got straight to the point, "we are new, is there any place we can stay at?" he asked kathryne as he folded his arms in front of his chest. his voice was cold and had a hint of annoyance in it, because of what childe did earlier.

"certainly." kathryne answered with a small nod, she shifted her pose and rummaged through some papers right after she answered.

after conversing with kathryne about the best place to stay at, you all finally came to a conclusion to stay at a small residence next to ying'ers perfume shop.

it was quite close to the adventures guild, kathryne could point straight at it from her booth, making it easier to spot.

you got your bag from your back and opened it to find the amount of mora for the place. luckily jean had given you mora for letting you all stay in liyue for a long time if something were to go wrong.

and that was the case, the geo archon was dead now, you and especially aether wouldnt just leave now. you exchanged the said mora for the key to the place. diluc extended his arm and was quick to grab the key, he seemed impatient.

right after you thanked kathryne, diluc was already on the move, descending the wooden stairs that would lead up to the adventures guild.

you walked besides him in silence, not wanting to get caught up in his bad mood. you two arrived at the place quickly and diluc extended his hand with the key to the door.

he inserted and twisted it in a swift motion, the door made a clicking sound indicating that it was successfully opened. you walked in first as diluc held the door open for you.

it was spacious, that was the first thing you noticed. since the lights were still off your only source of light was from the windows, giving the entire place a dark tint.

there was no hallway, you were immediately met with a kitchen and dinner table on your left and a couch on your right. as you looked in the middle of it you saw a door about the same style as the door you just walked through.

assuming it was the bedroom and bathroom there, you wanted to go look and confirm it yourself. you took a step towards the door in front of you but then heard the other door behind you shut and make a clicking sound.

you turned around and saw diluc facing you with his back, he was locking the door and blocking your path to the outside. you furrowed your brows and spoke up, "why are you locking it again?" you asked him as you set down your bag next to the couch.

diluc didnt say anything, you thought you were going to get moving as soon as you set all the stuff here and confirm if it was a good place to stay at. you were thinking you would meet up with aether right away but diluc had other plans.

he stood straight up, his back still facing you as he slowly turned around. his red eyes were almost lighting up in the dark atmosphere on the new residence.

the man had no expression whatsoever on his face, making it hard to read. he was now fully turned around, facing you as he had his arms folded in front of his chest.

he leaned on the door behind him, his eyes never leaving you while he scanned your expression. after finding none, he spoke up, "tell me why you were really in mondstadt." he demanded immediately.

you thought it was an odd question. after everything that happend he decided to ask about that, it was weird to you but you answered nonetheless. "i already said that, to explo-" you wanted to keep up your traveler story but diluc cut you off.

"and dont lie." he interrupted you sternly, his voice overpowering yours. it left you speechless. "i saw right through you from the first day, y/n." he stated as he looked down while closing his eyes.

diluc sounded disappointed. he inhaled deeply and you spoke up, trying to keep your lies up for the sake of your identity. "there is nothing going on, why do you think that?" you said and you noticed him opening his eyes to look at you.

you decided to go on as you had his attention, "is it because jean told you so?" you continued to ask him, hoping he would change his thoughts. you were bad at this but tried anyways and kept going.

'maybe it will work if i bring in his feelings.' you thought to yourself and spoke up again. "do you blindly follow everything she says? is it because you like her so m-" you said but were once again interrupted.

"enough!" he yelled out, his arms falling to his side as he approached you. you instinctively took a step backwards as he came closer.

he kept on walking to you while you walked backwards, hoping to keep safe distance from him. "listen here." he started off while slowly marching to you.

"first of, jean is not the one i have feelings for." he said and continued to walk to you. your back hit the wall behind you and diluc closed the distance between you two now.

he spoke up again, "and second, that situation with those mages and with childe were far too suspicious." he said and now stood right in front of you, looking down while keeping eye contact.

trying to counter that argument, you spoke up, "that was a hallucination." you said while looking up at him, you already thought that he bought the excuse earlier.

"even if it was." diluc started off. "the way that lawachurl just dissappeared is not normal."he countered your argument right back at you, looking straight into your eyes to scan your expression.

you looked right back at him, showing him you werent scared of him or anything. diluc kept going, "i was told to keep an eye on you, and i will."

you didnt want to continue this conversation since you would most likely lose, there was just too much evidence already. you looked to your side and wanted to run from dilucs stare.

you wanted to move away from your cornered spot, you took a step to your side to glide away from him. but diluc was quick to notice and extended his arm in a fast motion.

he took a step forward, his body almost touching yours. dilucs placed his hand right besides your head, blocking your path. "im not done here yet." he said in an emotionless tone. you could feel his hot breath on your face as he spoke, that was how close he was.