Chapter 23- His Gorgeous Smile

"I can't risk you in danger, not now not ever

"I can't risk you in danger, not now not ever.", his words were still ringing in my ears. 

What followed next was- Silence

Stunned silence from my side and awkward, I repeat awkward silence from Mr Khanna's side, at least that's what I imagined until he took a step back.

"Let's go.", he said without looking at me. The ride to his Igloo was painfully long. As soon as we reached our destination, he threw a quick glance towards me and marched inside.

Bah! as if I was expecting him to open the car's door for me. Chivalry and Mr Khanna don't go along.

I took my sweet time, casually coming out of the Camaro and walking inside the mansion and following him to his study. Mr Khanna gave me a pointed look which I ignored, of course.

"So, about earlier...", I trailed off presuming about getting a response from him but of course I'm a fool, Mr Khanna won't speak anything until he wants to.

'You realised you called yourself a fool.'

'Oh hey, I thought you went to the Himalayas.'

'I wish I could but my bad! I'm stuck with you Avni. You should be happy I'm always with you.'

"Miss Mehta are you going to continue or you're just planning to stand there and stare into oblivion.", Mr Khanna's voice came, I was surprised how his eyes were glued to some papers but still he knew what I was doing. He sometimes makes me believe in my theory of him not being a Homosapien.

"Yes, about that...", I paused finding a more approachable way to start," How did you know there was a mole in your system?"

"That's what you want to ask?", he asked shuffling through the files. I just hated those bundles of sheets at that moment, for God sake someone's talking to you and you're being an ignorant apple.

"Yes." or maybe no.

"Yesterday in the conference I saw Vidyut gesturing something to him.", his answer was short and crisp. 

'Avni It seems he's charged to speak. Like, oh hey Mr Khanna today you spoke 20 sentences which means you need to pay 20 bucks.', the way my conscience said it, I couldn't help but laugh.

And somewhere the theory made sense to me.

"Oh.", was all I said to him before an uncomfortable silence prevailed between us. My insides were chanting me to ask about that sentence he said to me but I couldn't muster any courage, what if it was just a misconception, I can't let myself get embarrassed in front of him again and again.

"I shall leave then.", I mumbled and was about to go when his voice stopped me in my tracks.

"And may I ask to where?", he said, eyes still on his stupid papers.