Chapter 42- The Tragic End-II

It happened in a flash

It happened in a flash. One moment I was grinning as if I was the happiest and most fortunate woman on the face of this earth and the very next moment everything came crashing down to prove that happiness and I do not go in a single freakin' sentence. 

We are like two poles of a bar magnet, which can never come together.

"Sir, It's Sullivan." One name was enough to make me aware that I do not deserve happiness. Mr Khanna held my hand in a death grip." Neela ma'am.", DD hesitated and my anxiety heightened.

"What happened to maa DD?"

"Sir, you need to reach here." DD ended the call hastily and Mr Khanna squeezed my hand." It will be fine. I'm with you.", his words were reassuring but call it a female's intuition, something in me knew it won't be fine because my fate and I are never in best terms.

My heart was racing and panic was crawling my senses. The only thing that was keeping me sane was the fact that Mr Khanna was with me.

The ride to wherever we were going was filled with tense silence, Mr Khanna didn't leave my hand even for a single second for which I was grateful to him because it took everything in me not to pull my hair. 

My mind was pooling with adverse thoughts. What if he was here? What if he found maa? or worse, What if he hurt maa?

My heart was thudding so loudly I could hear it in my heart. Mr Khanna's grip on the steering wheel was so tight I could see his nerves popping out. The car halted at a cosy home at the periphery of Mumbai but what caught my eyes was the number of vehicles and a greater number of guards.

I quickly unbuckled my seatbelt and came out of the car, Mr Khanna hot on my tail. He clasped my wrist and we walked near the house. DD came out of the house but his hands were painted in crimson red.

Red?

Blood?

Fresh freaking Blood?

Why the hell does he have blood on his hands?

"What happened DD?", Mr Khanna asked in a low voice, if not for the deafening silence It would have been inaudible. DD gave me a look of sorrow and sympathy." Sir..we..we got late.", he muttered meekly, his head was hung low in shame and guilt.

My mind had started weaving its theories, all negative to be specific but the few sparks of positivity kept my hopes high. It won't be what I'm thinking. It can't be. It can't be.

"What? What do you mean by t-that?" I asked with the little courage I had.

"Sir when we reached here the five guards along with Charles, all..all of them were laying in their blood." I knew what was coming next."Neela ma'am.."Someone stop him, please! I don't want to hear it "We lost her."

And the tiniest hope shattered.

She left.

My heart ached thinking I couldn't even talk to her nicely, last time when we talked was the night of the ball. I don't know if she even forgave me. My heart clenched thinking what kind of a big failure I was in the form of a daughter. Mr Khanna at once pulled me to his chest.