Chapter 3: Paarthurnax

Marinette was just about ready to follow her friends and go outside after finishing her lunch when Nino ran back in screaming about a dragon on the school grounds. She rushed outside to see a dragon with dull, greenish-gray scales, broken horns, tattered wings, and a "beard" of chin-spikes, some of which were also broken, who was chatting with Rose. His eyes were a cool, icy blue. When the dragon turned to her and opened his mouth to speak, Marinette noticed that several of his teeth were missing too.

"Drem yol lok, kiir. I am Paarthurnax. What brings you here?"

"Uh, Nino was screaming about a dragon on school grounds, so I came out here just to be sure."

Paarthurnax laughed. "Strunsahtiid sent Odahviing to tell me to return to Mundus, so I did. I came here to this school because I was curious. I have never seen so many children in one place, nor such a large school."

Marinette rolled her eyes. "It's not like it's the Middle Ages."

"I know, kiir. I was just saying. Forgive me. It has been long since I have engaged in vahzah tinvaak - true conversation - with... well, anyone."

By now Marinette was slightly more used to dragons peppering their speech with words she didn't understand, so she just went along with it.

Before she could say something Alya pushed past her, nearly knocking her over, and began squealing again.

Here we go.

Alya was speaking so fast that her words were running together.

"Whoareyou?Where'dyoucomefrom?What-"

"Aye, aye, aye, drem! Patience! Slow down, I cannot understand you!"

The redhead seemed to calm down a bit and asked a little more calmly, "I was wondering where you came from, since when the two dragons showed up yesterday, I heard something like 'Dal Vus' or something along those lines."

"The full Shout is 'Nahl Dal Vus' and we originally inhabited Mundus - or Earth, as you now call it - but we retreated to Aetherius. If you want more details about our departure from this realm, then perhaps come to me at the park near your school after it is over."

"Also, why do you look like," she pointed at his ruined wings, "that?"

Paarthurnax sighed. "A battle with my older brother Alduin, as well as having to fight off many a dragon hunter."

Ayla was scribbling down what he said madly and looked up again, about to ask more questions, when a herd of students almost trampled her. Half were holding up their phones to get a picture of the dragon, while others were hanging back but still looking at him. Finally Ms. Bustier came out and escorted everyone back to class and Paarthurnax took the opportunity to fly away.