Chapter 39: Coming Home

Marinette fidgeted nervously. Paarthurnax had brought the whole class, as well as Odahviing and Durnehviir, to the place where Alix and Strunshatiid had left this dimension to go to Apocrypha. And there was still no sign of either coming back. Rose was already starting to panic.

"Oh no, what if Alix is hurt? What if she never found her family?! What if-"

A bright light filled the clearing and they were all forced to cover their eyes. When the light dissipated, standing there was Strunsahtiid, Alix, her father, and Jalil.

"Alix!" Kim ran forward and happily wrapped her in a crushing hug.

"Kim, I just got back from a battle, you're crushing me, I really don't need this," she wheezed.

Rose, Juleka, Marinette, Mylene, and Alya all immediately glomped Alix, while everyone else crowded around her, happy that she was still alive.

And in such a happy and tear-fulled reunion, of course Lila needed to stroke her own ego.

"Oh, I figured out Miraak's weakness and told Alix how to exploit it!"

Everyone immediately turned and stared at her. When she'd been first outed as an agent of Hawk Moth, everyone had just sort of bottled up their anger over it. Most of them, anyway (*cough**cough* Kim *cough**cough). None of them blew up at Lila. In public, at least.

But this was the last straw that broke the camel's back.

"Cut your bullsh*t, Lila. We all know that you're the biggest liar on Earth, possibly in all existence, and you know that we know that. We fell for it once, I'll admit, but now we know better. What the f*ck makes you think we'll keep falling for it?" Alix snapped. Even after Lila was punished, she still hadn't seemed to have learned her lesson. The only thing keeping her out of jail was the remedial classes she was taking for all the coursework she'd missed.

"But Strun-"

"And don't try to throw Strunsahtiid under the bus or go 'well Paarthurnax did blah-blah-blah' for this. Paarthurnax helped enslave humanity, but he legit regrets it and is the reason we even exist today. And we're talking about you, not him," she added. Throwing either under the bus was Lila's favorite excuse.

"You really are pathetic if you're trying to paint Paarthurnax, of all dragons, in a bad light," Durnehviir spat. "I bet your soul wouldn't even fill a fraction of a petty soul gem."

"You decided to destroy Marinette's life, pissed someone off to the point where they became an Akuma bent on murdering you, sold yourself out to a terrorist over a petty grudge that could've easily been solved with no hassle whatsoever, and betrayed all of Paris! What do you have to say for yourself, you Daedra-spawn?" Odahviing demanded.

Alim stepped between his daughter and Lila, giving her a venomous glare, and jabbed his finger in the air.

"Get. Out."

The tone in his voice made him sound bigger than all of them. Bigger than Hawk Moth, bigger than Paarthurnax, bigger than Strunsahtiid, even bigger than Akatosh.

Lila looked at him, glanced around, then quickly turned and ran off.