Chapter 47: The Truth

"Cat Noir, I need to tell you something."

"What is it, m'lady?"

"I... I told someone my secret Identity, I gave Alya the Fox Miraculous and made Rena Rouge a permanent Miraculous holder, and I'm training Alya to become a potential new Guardian of the Miracle Box in case anything happens to me."

Cat Noir stared at her for a few seconds, then burst into laughter.

"That's a pretty good joke. What's the... punchline..." His voice trailed off at the 100% serious look on her face.

The two stood there, neither daring to break the deafening silence suddenly surrounding them. It was almost suffocating.

"I told them because between my civilian life, my responsibilities as Guardian of the Miracle Box, and some other... personal events were getting to become too much, so I broke down and-"

"Bugaboo, you could've told me." Cat Noir's ears and tail drooped.

"I know, it's just... you weren't there at the time and I couldn't hold it in any longer. And I knew the person I told better than I know you."

"M'lady, I can tell you my secret-"

"No, don't! I had to fight an Akumatized version of you in a future where we knew each other's identities!"

Cat Noir's eyes widened in shock. "Wha-"

A heavy thump behind them made the two heroes whirl around and raised their weapons. It was only Paarthurnax.

"Please, do not be angry with each other," he pleaded. "Anger cannot solve this problem and will only make it harder to reconcile and think clearly enough to solve it. You two are partners, and part of what made you unstoppable is your open and wordless communication. To borrow an analogy, a house divided against itself cannot stand. If you allow secrets and lies to drive you two apart, then Paris may well lose its champions."

Cat Noir looked at Paarthurnax, then at Ladybug, then drew in a deep breath. "Okay. Let's talk."

The two sat down crosslegged while Paarthurnax settled into his stomach.

"So," Cat Noir began, "the first question I want answers to. Who is Rena Rouge?"

"It's Alya."

Cat's ears twitched and an odd expression passed over his face, but it disappeared so quickly that Ladybug was left unsure if it was real or if she'd just imagined it.

"So I assume Shadow Moth knows her identity - and the identity of all the temporary Miraculous holders - because of the whole Miracle Queen incident?"

"Yes. That... didn't turn out well for her. He made a Sentimonster of her boyfriend's Akuma, Bubbler, and tried to make her hand over her Miraculous. Luckily she tricked Shadow Moth into thinking that I won't trust her with a Miraculous anymore."

"Good."

Cat Noir's ears then drooped.

"M'lady, we're supposed to be partners. I feel left out and more like a third wheel now."

Then his ears shot up.

"Wait! The other Miraculous holders! Are they-"

"Don't worry, they're safe," Paarthurnax said reassuringly. "They are under my protection."

Right then the building they were all on shook. Paarthurnax looked behind Cat Noir and glared at... someone.

"Durnehviir! How many times have I told you to warn someone before you land right behind them?"

"Krosis, krosis!"

"Now, why are you here?"

"I'm looking for the Dupain-Cheng baker- I mean, Marinette's house. To talk to her."

"Talk to her, eh?" Cat Noir raised his eyebrows. "Not to, say, beg for more pastries?"

"Uh..."

"I've seen you do it, buddy."

Durnehviir his his face behind his wings. "Stop exposing me. If the other dragons find out, I'll never live it down!"

"Sorry to break it to you, but a giant dracolich isn't the most unnoticeable sight. And trust me, gossip travels faster than the speed of light, so they probably already know, they just don't think it's worth talking a lot about."

Durnehviir sighed in relief and slumped to the ground. "Good. At least I won't be a complete laughingstock."

He raised his head. "And by the way, don't forget that if you ever need an army to counter an Akuma-made one, call on me and I'll be there."